Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elwarpo
    replied
    Not sure if I can post other forum links here, but I did a series of articles on painting steel on another site. I am a paint chemist (invent paint) and have been doing it for over 30 years. So if you have paint questions feel free to ask. If allowed I can link the articles.

Leave a comment:

• NVRDUN
    replied
    It's always exciting when a build gets close to the finish line. Good Job..!

Leave a comment:

• Mogwai
    replied
    Man, I am so overdue for an update here. Life with 5 kids has been hectic and the Jeep has taken a back seat (one of my major remaining to-do items, btw) lately.

This past weekend I did a garage cleanup so I could start work on the Jeep again. I've got a new dizzy installed, but haven't gotten the timing set yet, so that's going to be my #1 goal. After that, my remaining to-do's before the first shakedown trail run are:
    1. Shocks - Fronts are ready to install, and I've got the brackets for the back, just need to do some welding and measuring. Going to have to work in some bumpstops, too, those XJ springs want to invert badly.
    2. Powder Coat - I have a handful of parts I've fabbed / assembled that need to be coated so I can bolt them in
    3. Seats and Harnesses - dependent on the powder coating for the rear seat bracket
    4. Final Cage Bolt-up - again, dependent on powder
    5. Re-sealing the sub box - minor issue, but necessary to eliminate flutter
    6. Installing PRP tool bags

I'm going to defer the air system for now, it's in need of a complete revisit, especially if I'm going to add A/C later on. Right now I've got a Kilby system with the York compressor, which is excellent, but I think I'll be happier in the long-run with an electric system so I can make room for an actual A/C compressor. Similar story with some of the auxiliary electrics, like rock lights. I can get back on the trails without 'em! I think I've wasted too much time on analysis paralysis for those two items and it's not necessary.

So, barring any surprises I'm really not far off at all from being ready to get back on the trails. Hopefully I'll be posting up some updates and pics within the next week or so!

Leave a comment:

• dboat
    replied
    Great Work, looks FANTASTIC!!

Leave a comment:

• mmmmbeer
    replied
    Looking great, Chris!

Leave a comment:

• cj8larry
    replied
    Awesome

Leave a comment:

• Nathan W
    replied
    Freaking AWESOME!

Leave a comment:

• MudMan
    replied
    Very nice work!

Leave a comment:

• Bearkat
    replied
    This build is shaping up nicely. Great work!

Leave a comment:

• Mogwai
    replied
    Alright, it's time for a BIG update.... The roll cage is IN!!!!!!

My brother-in-law came over and helped me lift it into place. So, drumroll please..........
    2020-09-26_04-58-45 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

2020-09-26_04-58-39 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

2020-09-26_04-58-51 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

And installed the driver and passenger seats, finished up the glove box, steering wheel, etc... dash is now about 98% done, just need to get a cover for the column opening:

2020-09-26_08-31-37 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

2020-09-26_08-31-47 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

2020-09-26_08-31-59 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Next big task is getting all the small brackets and parts to my powdercoat shop to get those done, then completely finish up the cage install. Then, rear shocks, air system, a couple of tweaks in the engine bay, and exhaust and it'll be ready for its first shakedown run!!!!!

Probably posting more pics tomorrow. Needless to say, I am hugely excited to have come all this way from this:
    Rowdy - Before by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Leave a comment:

• Mogwai
    replied
    Amplifier wiring day... and sub box painting. Not quite finished with either, but major progress:

Amps and Cap by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Left to right: Pioneer GM-D1004 Class D amp to drive the 6x9's that will go in pods in the roll cage; Pioneer GM-D9605 Class D amp to drive the 6.5" speakers in the dash and overhead pods, and the 12" dual voice coil subwoofer, T-Spec 3.0F capacitor for when the amps want more power than the batteries want to give.

Tested out the front channel speakers. Sounds dang good so far. Now I just need to finish painting and buttoning up the sub box, and then I'm ready to drop in the roll cage. The rear seat harness bar sits just above the sub box, which helps discourage would-be thieves from making off with the sub... that and my mounting brackets sit in such a way that it's a gigantic pain to get to them once everything is fully installed.

Leave a comment:

• Mogwai
    replied
    BTW, I may wind up swapping that huge touch panel for a much simpler radio. I wanted to try Android Auto in the Jeep for a bit, see how I like it, and I found these Alpine units that are single DIN but still have massive touch screens. I don't love the fact that it obscures the gauges some, but it's pretty dang cool anyway.

Worst case, if I don't like having it in the Jeep or don't use its features (I'm thinking offline off-road maps, mostly, plus being able to control tunes and have at least a back-up camera, maybe others as well) then I'll transplant it to the wife's van and put a simple bluetooth receiver in the Jeep.

Leave a comment:

• MudMan
    replied
    Looking good!

Leave a comment:

• Mogwai
    replied
    Update time!

My re-made decals came in, so I got those applied... well, most of 'em. Got 2 more to go:
    Decals by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Also, since the last time I posted I picked up the cage from powder coat...
    Back from powder coat by skinnerstein, on Flickr

And I got the last bit of wiring behind the dash buttoned up and re-installed the dash for what, hopefully, will be the last time:
    20200920_174526 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

I also got the majority of the wiring run for the amplifier and speakers. Goal tomorrow is to finish installing the new batteries, do a few more circuit tests, and then do final bolt up of the dash so I can get it back out of the garage to install the cage!

Leave a comment:

• MudMan
    replied
    Good job!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X