Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice Job..!
    James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

• No exciting pictures this time, because it's nothing exciting, but the roll cage is out and I'm finishing up welds later today. Ran out of shielding gas yesterday with only 6 welds left to go!

Goal is to get the cage welding completed by end of day tomorrow, and then deliver it to powder coat on Wednesday. Getting really close to a major milestone!!!

Oh, I DID have a majorly exciting moment yesterday when I drove the Jeep to the gas station around the corner to fill up the tank! Definitely got some looks cruising around in a Jeep with no doors, no windshield, no cage, and only one seat. LOL
      '86 CJ-7, I6, SM465, 4:1 D300, Lock Right F&R, Onboard Air, Full Cage, PRP Seats, and LOTS more
      '00 TJ with not much done yet

Comment

• Comment

• "What, Dad's almost got the roll cage done?!?"
          Roll cage by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Yep, got it out, finished welding. Mounting tabs for the 6x9 speaker pods:

Custom grilles for the dash speakers:

And drilled and tapped the holes for the bolts that hold the overhead pods in place:

Now the cage is off to the powder coaters to be blasted, coated, and baked. With any luck I'll be picking it up on Friday. Remaining brackets and such will go to powder coat later on. Goal for this week is to finish fabricating brackets for the head unit, and getting all the behind the dash wiring secured so it's ready for me to install.

So now we're getting really excited, because if all goes to plan the cage, steering wheel, dash, speakers, and head unit will all be permanently installed by the end of this coming weekend...

"Aww yeah! Nice work, Dad!"
          '86 CJ-7, I6, SM465, 4:1 D300, Lock Right F&R, Onboard Air, Full Cage, PRP Seats, and LOTS more

Comment

• Congrats, Chris!
            progress feels good huh!

Comment

• Great job!
              Jeff
              2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
              2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

• Good job!

Comment

• Update time!

My re-made decals came in, so I got those applied... well, most of 'em. Got 2 more to go:
                  Decals by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Also, since the last time I posted I picked up the cage from powder coat...
                  Back from powder coat by skinnerstein, on Flickr

And I got the last bit of wiring behind the dash buttoned up and re-installed the dash for what, hopefully, will be the last time:
                  20200920_174526 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

I also got the majority of the wiring run for the amplifier and speakers. Goal tomorrow is to finish installing the new batteries, do a few more circuit tests, and then do final bolt up of the dash so I can get it back out of the garage to install the cage!

Comment

• Looking good!

Comment

• BTW, I may wind up swapping that huge touch panel for a much simpler radio. I wanted to try Android Auto in the Jeep for a bit, see how I like it, and I found these Alpine units that are single DIN but still have massive touch screens. I don't love the fact that it obscures the gauges some, but it's pretty dang cool anyway.

Worst case, if I don't like having it in the Jeep or don't use its features (I'm thinking offline off-road maps, mostly, plus being able to control tunes and have at least a back-up camera, maybe others as well) then I'll transplant it to the wife's van and put a simple bluetooth receiver in the Jeep.

Comment

• Amplifier wiring day... and sub box painting. Not quite finished with either, but major progress:

Amps and Cap by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Left to right: Pioneer GM-D1004 Class D amp to drive the 6x9's that will go in pods in the roll cage; Pioneer GM-D9605 Class D amp to drive the 6.5" speakers in the dash and overhead pods, and the 12" dual voice coil subwoofer, T-Spec 3.0F capacitor for when the amps want more power than the batteries want to give.

Tested out the front channel speakers. Sounds dang good so far. Now I just need to finish painting and buttoning up the sub box, and then I'm ready to drop in the roll cage. The rear seat harness bar sits just above the sub box, which helps discourage would-be thieves from making off with the sub... that and my mounting brackets sit in such a way that it's a gigantic pain to get to them once everything is fully installed.

Comment

• Alright, it's time for a BIG update.... The roll cage is IN!!!!!!

My brother-in-law came over and helped me lift it into place. So, drumroll please..........
                          2020-09-26_04-58-45 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

2020-09-26_04-58-39 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

2020-09-26_04-58-51 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

And installed the driver and passenger seats, finished up the glove box, steering wheel, etc... dash is now about 98% done, just need to get a cover for the column opening:

2020-09-26_08-31-37 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

2020-09-26_08-31-47 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

2020-09-26_08-31-59 by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Next big task is getting all the small brackets and parts to my powdercoat shop to get those done, then completely finish up the cage install. Then, rear shocks, air system, a couple of tweaks in the engine bay, and exhaust and it'll be ready for its first shakedown run!!!!!

Probably posting more pics tomorrow. Needless to say, I am hugely excited to have come all this way from this:
                          Rowdy - Before by skinnerstein, on Flickr

Comment

• This build is shaping up nicely. Great work!
                            Jeff
                            2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
                            2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

• Very nice work!

Comment

• Freaking AWESOME!

Comment

Working...
                                X