Bearkat's Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearkat's Build

Here's my build thread chronicling the progression of my 2013 JKU Rubicon with auto trans and 4.10s. I grew up playing in, on and with my father's 1956 Willys and his 1975 CJ5. I knew then that I wanted a Jeep of my own. Fast foward 30 years and I finally got my first Jeep. I bought it new on October 11, 2012 and it was everything I had been wanting.

DAY 1

For now this will be my daily driver and weekend toy. I will be driving it to the trails and need to be able to drive it home also, so my build progress will hopefully reflect that idea. I want to try and build it up right the first time and in a progression that will allow me to also build up my wheeling skills. I plan on running 37"s on the Jeep eventually but I am starting with 35"s and will be beefing up everything to more securely be able to run the larger tires. Here's a list of what I have planned for my first part of my build.

Already installed:
    Cobra 19DXIV 40 Channel Mobile Compact CB Radio
    Firestick 3' Tuneable Tip CB Antenna
    Rigid Industries Dually D2s Lights (Driving Beam)
    Poison Spyder Lower A-Pillar Mounting Brackets
    Quadratec Front & Rear Floor Liners
    Jeep Wrangler 4 Door, Door Entry Guards
    Rugged Ridge Black Aluminum Fuel Door Cover
    (2) Rugged Ridge Black Roll Bar Fire Extinguisher Holder
    (2) Kidde FA110 Multi Purpose Fire Extinguisher 1A10BC
    Rugged Ridge Gloss Black Mesh Grille Insert Screen
    Rugged Ridge Black Front & Rear Light Guards
    AEV JK Jack Base
    Rock Krawler 3.5" Max Travel Lift Kit
    Bilstein 5100 shocks (for 4"-6" lifts)
    Adams JK 1310 Heavy Duty C.V. Front Drive Shaft
    35" Toyo Open Country MTs
    stock 2013 Rubicon wheels
    Spidertrax 1.75" Wheel Spacers
    AEV ProCal module
    Poison Spyder JK Brawler Lite Front Bumper with Stinger
    Poison Spyder JK Brawler Lite Front Skid Plate
    LoD Frame Mounted Rock Sliders
    Smittybilt XRC-10 Comp Series Winch
    ARB Recovery Essentials Package W/ ARB Bag
    Poison Spyder Winch Fairlead Mount
    Poison Spyder Aluminum Hawse Winch Fairlead
    Daystar D-Ring Isolators, Pair - Black
    Factor 55 Winch Lock
    LoD Signature Series Shorty Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier
    Trektop NX
    Spiderweb Shade
    Surprise Straps
    Body Armor 4x4 Trail Doors (Front & Rear) w/ Removable Mirrors

Other mods over time:
    Truck-Lite Headlights
    Poly Performance Synergy Suspension Ball Joint Set
    MYGIG LOCKPICK
    Backup camera
    Rock cams
    Trek Armor Seat Covers Front & Rear
    sPOD switch system
    Rigid Industries 10" Light Bar and winch fairlead mount
    Artec C-Gussets
    Artec Front D44 Axle Truss
    Sleeves
    Chromolly Axles, Front & Rear
    Adams JK 1310 Heavy Duty C.V. Rear Drive Shaft
    Diff covers
    Skid plates
    Lockable storage
    37" Toyo Open Country MTs
    Spyderlock Beadlocks

This is a pretty big build list so far and I'm sure some of it will change but I'm pretty excited to get it all started.

LSJC Trail Leader - LSJC Moderator
    2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
    2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Here are a few pics of some of my mods so far.

Cobra 19 DX IV

Rugged Ridge CB Antenna Mount

3' Firestick II

New lights for the Jeep

Installed new lights

2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier

Comment

Parts have arrived for the build!

Smittybilt XRC10 Comp Series Winch

LoD Offroad Rock Sliders
      They came packaged well and had no damage despite FedEx knocking two holes in the cardboard.

These things are beefy. They weigh in at around 75 lbs each! The Bilsteins also arrived and can be seen behind the sliders.

SpiderTrax 1.75" Wheel Spacers

Comment

More goodies!

35/12.5/17 Toyo Open Country MTs

Taking a look at how the new 35" Toyo Open Country MT tires will look once mounted, after the lift of course.

Comment

I removed my Rubi Rails and sold them. I can't wait until I get the LoD Rock Sliders mounted.

It looks funny without any rocker protection.

Comment

The Rock Krawler 3.5" Max Travel Lift Kit and Adam's Front Driveshaft arrived!!!

All the goodies ready to install.

Comment

So, I just unwrapped my Poison Spyder JK Brawler Lite Skid Plate and discovered that it already came powder coated. Nice! That saves me from having to get it done. Now I'll only need to get the bumper done. Unless it comes powder coated already, but I seriously doubt it.

Also, here's a shot of some miscellaneous lift parts that came with my lift. Brackets, long travel brake lines, etc.

Comment

Primed and painted my front shackles to add a little accent color to the jeep. In SHSU Orange of course, well Orange Crush (PL4) actually. These will get banged up during recovery times but will be easy to touch up.

Shackles getting primed using POR-15 Self Etching Primer. (2 coats)

Shackles painted using Mopar PL4. (4 coats)

Not a big mod but one I think will look good.

Comment

So, my Poison Spyder front bumper is supposed to arrive by FedEx tomorrow night and the place I was going to have it powder coated at told me that it would be a 1-2 week turnaround. Urgh!!! But I ended up finding another highly recommended shop that will have it ready for my be the end of day Friday. Provided FedEx is on schedule and I get the bumper to them first thing Thursday morning. Now it looks like I will get to install the stinger bumper and winch on Saturday after all.

Comment

My Poison Spyder JK Brawler Lite Front Bumper w/ Trail Stinger is back from powder coating. In and out in two days from Crosslink of McKinney Powder Coating. They did a really good job and the customer service was awesome. Just ask for Johnny!

Picked it up end of day Friday, just in time for the big install on Saturday morning. I couldn't have cut it much closer!

Comment

Close up of the powder coating detail

Comment

It was a long build day, a total of about 13 hours and pretty cold one for most of the day. It was around 32 deg when we started. I can't say how much I appreciate Mike (Goody) for all of his help with this build, it was a big one! And by "help" I really mean that I would have slowed him down and been more in the way with all of my questions. (Me <--- Jeep Suspension NOOB) He did a great job and the Jeep rode great on the way home. We had it up to highway speeds and I can say that it drives better than the stock rubicon suspension. My wife said it felt much smoother riding in the jeep on the way home. It doesn't roll as much as it did and really seems to hug the curves. Man I can't wait to get it out on the trails and see how well it performs. The only thing left is to get the 35" Toyos mounted on Monday. Here's some photos from the build yesterday.

Comment

My wife, Mandy, was really cold yesterday morning. Yes that's her all wrapped up, LOL.

Comment

Got the new shoes put on this morning.

I'll need to air down the tires some. They aired them up to 45 psi and it rides a little rough.

Comment

Aired down the tires to 32 psi and they ride much better. Thinking I'll take them down to 30 and see how that feels.

Comment

Working...
                              X