2003 TJ Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 TJ Project

Now that I have spent time looking through all of the project posts and tech discussions, I realize that I need to begin upgrading my Jeep for wheelin.
    I purchased my Jeep in August of this year, after wanting one for 20+ years.

When I purchased my Jeep it had the following modifications:
    32" Mud Brute Tires
    Black Mountain Wheels
    2 inch Black Mountain Suspension Lift

I worked a deal with the sales man to throw in double tube bumpers for both the front and rear bumpers as well as nerf bars for no additional charge.

Since I purchased the jeep I have added off road lights on the front bumper and a light bar with lights on the top.

I have just purchased a winch and will be installing it shortly.
    Along with the winch I have purchased;
    A snatch block
    2 D rings
    Tow straps without metal hooks
    A CB Radio
    (All things I learned about when I was rescued by LSJC members)

Below are some pics

As purchased

After New bumpers, off road lights and nerf bars

After light bar (and while stuck in the mud with a burned out clutch)

The 8000 lb. winch that will be installed shortly
    Last edited by jeffc545; 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM.

Future plans include

1) Steering Box Skid Plate
    2) Radiator Skid Plate
    3) Rock Sliders
    4) On-board Air
    5) 4" lift
    6) 35" tires
    7) Body Armor
    Body Armor
    and some day a engine swap
    Last edited by jeffc545; 05-14-2009, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Looks like you found out about "... Emptying Every Pocket"!
      sigpic

Comment

Nice man. Be prepared to dump a lot of money into the Jeep. With the 4" you're probably going to want a CV shaft and SYE. With the 35s you're probably gonna want to upgrade the rear axle and regear. Lockers will help, and of course armor to go along with it. Have fun and keep us updated!

Comment

From what I've seen and done 35's are too big for a 4in lift. I had a Rough country 4in and with 33's rubbed really bad when flexing. I can't imagine what it would do with 35's. You'll take out the fenders quick! And you will need the SYE and CV shaft. I didn't do it when I put mine on and kicked myself everythime I went out. With the 1in transfer case drop I would bottom out a lot. By the time I did do the SYE and CV shaft I already decided to build something else. So I suggest doing it right the first time, that will save you some time and money.

Comment

Lookin good...

Comment

looks good Jeff. Kepp us posted

Comment

good start and best of all, you started with a good round headlight foundation...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 1jeep View Post
                  From what I've seen and done 35's are too big for a 4in lift. I had a Rough country 4in and with 33's rubbed really bad when flexing. I can't imagine what it would do with 35's. You'll take out the fenders quick! And you will need the SYE and CV shaft. I didn't do it when I put mine on and kicked myself everythime I went out. With the 1in transfer case drop I would bottom out a lot. By the time I did do the SYE and CV shaft I already decided to build something else. So I suggest doing it right the first time, that will save you some time and money.
                  I know lots of people that run 35's on a 4inch lift.
                  The only reason I dont haev them is that I dont need new tires yet but when i do im going to 35's or 37's on a 3.5in RE Superflex susp. and 1inch body lift.

Only reason i think i can clear 37's is because of the crawler fenders

Comment

Nice Jeep. I think I was right behind you this morning (around 7am). You turned left from Malone on to McDermott, and turned off by Autozone. I was in my tow rig (Red Dodge 1500).

x2 on the SYE. Talk to the guys at Creative in McKinney about your plans, they'll tell you what you need, and can install if you need.

Comment

Thanks....I am out there every morning, taking my step-son to Track practice. Four more weeks and he gets his license! I won't have to get up early, but the real worrying will begin. Hope to meet you soon.

Comment

Winch Installed

Well my winch and winch plate came in yesterday. I was very concerned about cutting my tube bumpers myself, so I had planned on taking to CSPTX to have it installed. Brian had offered a GREAT price to install the winch. As I read over the instructions and looked at my bumper, I just had to try it myself. I am very pleased with the results!

I want to thank Brian for his willingness to work with me! I am on a high that I was able to install it. This has helped me build confidence to try future mods!

Comment

Originally posted by 1jeep View Post
                          I run 37's with a 4.5" lift. I have no rubbing issues. Proper bumpstop and wheel back spacing is key to it all working properly.

The down side to jumping to 35's is that it isnt just lifting it. You need to upgrade your axle shafts, steering, gearing, and before anything really, the brakes.
                          2015 JKUR Red
                          2013 JKUR Black SOLD
                          2005 LJR Red SOLD
                          2004 TJ Silver SOLD
                          1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Today I modified my front bumper for better approaches. I cut the double tubes so that they no longer extend beyond the tires.

Comment

that looks nice

Comment

Working...
                              X