Comanche Dawn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comanche Dawn

So I have started on my second Comanche restoration. Found a 1989 Eliminator in really good shape. Gonna build it up from the ground up. 2" lift. Boostwerks hidden winch. Rollbar, Boosted Technologies Supercharger.. Moab wheels. JCR sliders. Probably Sunset Orange. Keeping it pretty stock looking. Also going to try and build a trailer using a Comanche bed. Got her completely stripped. Body is in great condition. Small issue with the passenger floor due to the PO not addressing a leak. Comanches always rot from the inside out!!. Very easy fix. Anybody know a good sandblasting outfit. I want to take it down to bare metal to make sure there isn't any rot hidden away.
    2006 Rubicon Unlimited, 4.0, 6 Speed Fire Red. JCR Vanguard Front Bumper, TigerShark 9500 winch, 2.5" OME Lift, 32's on Mammoth Wheels. M90 Supercharger
    1991 Jeep Comanche 4.7 Stroker, 5 Speed, D44, NP242 Colorado Red

I am probably going to donate most of the 1991 Comanche I have to this project. She was an Illinois vehilcle and it is a battle to stop the rot once it is started. I restored that one in 2006 so it has done well but I have more floor rot, chassis paint is flaking. The Texas heat hasn't been kind to the paint. Fenders are peeling. The bed is from California so it would make an awesome trailer. Or I might strip it and let somebody else build it back up. Good news is the interor is immaculate.
    Putting a supercharger on a stroker would make for an interesting combination. Picked up some 1987 hubs so I can mount Wilwoods if I go this route. Stopping is ALWAYS more important than starting!!
    Aim is to get close to show quality with the 89. Still would use it as a daily driver, but I want a vehicle that will stay looking good over a long period. To do that the foundation has to be right.
    2006 Rubicon Unlimited, 4.0, 6 Speed Fire Red. JCR Vanguard Front Bumper, TigerShark 9500 winch, 2.5" OME Lift, 32's on Mammoth Wheels. M90 Supercharger

Comment

Good luck with the project!

Comment

Nice project! Keep us posted.
        Jeff
        2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
        2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

Talk with dboat about boosting a stroker, and talk with Mogwai about who he used to sandblast.
          Oughtta be a cool little project!

Comment

Got her fully stripped. Small rust issue passenger floor caused by leaking windsheld. Very minor. Rest of the truck is very solid. Now to decide whether to get the body media blasted or do it myself!! Got quoted around $1,000 for sandblasting. Seems a lot for a little old Comanche!!

Comment

Mounted the BoostWerks Hidden winch mount. Very solid piece of kit. It will also provide a very strong Steering box brace. Fitment went pretty well.

Comment

Now to decide on color. I am liking Sunset Orange. Saw it on a car at Mecum. Might work well. Could look good with the black trim on the Eliminator, or I might stay with Colorado Red!!

Comment

Going to use a Boosted Technologies Supercharger. Have one on my LJ. Works pretty well for the price. Found some !987 XJ knuckles so I can bolt Wilwoods right up to get her to stop properly. Should be good for 300hp hopefully.

Comment

Nice project. I had a Comanche years ago. Loved that truck.

Comment

So I managed to get the Comanche blasted yesterday. Used HappenStance Dustless Blasting. What a great result. The water keeps the panels really cool. No warping. Didn't find any other issues except what I already knew with the passenger floor. Looks like an extremely good base to build on.

Comment

Next job is to paint the chassis with Eastwood's extreme chassis black, then I will paint the insides of the chassis rails with Eastwood's internal frame coating. Was thinking of using POR15 but this stuff works great too.On top of that on the underside I will use their rubberized undercoating. The question is gloss or satin?

Comment

Originally posted by ComancheMJ View Post
                          So I managed to get the Comanche blasted yesterday. Used HappenStance Dustless Blasting. What a great result. The water keeps the panels really cool. No warping. Didn't find any other issues except what I already knew with the passenger floor. Looks like an extremely good base to build on.
                          Looks good!
                          Jeff
                          2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
                          2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

Looking good!
                            2000 TJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 06 Super Duty Diffs, D60/Sterling, ARBs, 5.38, 40” stickies, Weld on beadlocks, PSC full hydro steering, Vanco hydroboost, 16” King coilovers & King bumps, a radio that makes noise & a working Winch.

Comment

Got the frame reinforcer off. Tons of spot welds to remove. I recommend the Blair 11096 Cutter set if you ever need to cut spot welds, that and the lisle 51900 spot weld chisel will be invaluable. Once the reinforcer was off I was able to cut the floor out that had some small holes in it. I decided to replace most of the front section. Replacing it with a Triplus 2704221R from fixmyrust.com. Vastly superior to the Sherman floorpan offering. Not perfect but close enough. Just need to cut the floor down. Drop it in and get it welded. Then off to paint prep.....

Comment

Working...
                              X