Engine Swap?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap?!?!

I really need to get my 4 banger out of there and put a real motor in... The four engines in considering ore the 4.0, a LS6, a 4BT cummins or the 5.0 out of my 94 Ford. Any pne know the cheapest and easiest... also what would my 4 banger go for on craigslist?

You'll sink more $$ into an engine swap than your Jeep is worth. If you really feel you need more motor, sell it and buy one with with a 4.0.

Comment

If you are going to spend the time and money on a engine swap there is no reason to go with a 4.0 when it will cost about the same to go with an LS. If you are mechanically inclined you can do a swap on a pretty reasonable budget and an LS will make good power with just a cam, intake, and some tuning. There is a huge aftermarket support for LS swaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

X2 on the LS motors....there is a very good reason they are the most popular for jeeps, buggies, vintage cars...etc
        They work well, parts are everywhere, they are the new small block.
        2000 TJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 06 Super Duty Diffs, D60/Sterling, ARBs, 5.38, 40” stickies, Weld on beadlocks, PSC full hydro steering, Vanco hydroboost, 16” King coilovers & King bumps, a radio that makes noise & a working Winch.

Comment

Thing is if you look into a true LS swap you can't get into a motor only for less than $1k, then add a harness/PCM/TCM plus a trans and tcase plus mounts and mods you will need to make along the way. Will you go Atlas, Stak? Add another $2500. This is assuming your choice is a good running, no tear down involved as you doing all the labor yourself.

If you went with an LQ4 with harness and PCM that alone can be had for $700-1k unless you have a connection :)

Plus trans, tcase, mounts and mods to make it fit and work.

A 4.0 swap is as easy as finding a salvage yard near you and you can snag a motor, trans and tcase with a harness and PCM for about $1k, that's if you do your research. If you have connections, it can be had for even less. Your jeep was designed to run this combination. It's almost a direct fit for the entire swap.

So the real question is, do you want gobs of power and the cool sound and look of an LS along with the price tag?
          Or, do you want plenty of torque for wheelin and highway use with plenty coin left in your pocket?

Comment

Originally posted by mmmmbeer View Post
            You'll sink more $$ into an engine swap than your Jeep is worth. If you really feel you need more motor, sell it and buy one with with a 4.0.
            X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You also have to take into consideration that you will likely want a new transmission with the added power over the 4 banger, and a new tcase or adapter to fit the new transmission. In the case of the transmission you will probably just want to stick with the factory computer controlled 4l60e or step up to a 4l80e to keep the ecu from freaking out. Then considering the added torque of the new engine you could run into issues quick with axle longevity. When it comes down to it theres a lot more involved than just swapping the engine.

Comment

Dont let any one scare you off, i just did it and was not that bad. LS based swap is going to be easiest and cheapest. It will cost about the same as if you went 4.0. There is already some bad info in this thread.
                If you go 4.0 you still need engine mounts rewelded, trans mounts redone and input on tcase and driveshafts and wireing and the cost of the engine and trans. To do a LS its the same so work wise your about the same. Anyone saying the 4.0 swap is easy has not done it nor really looked into before. 4bt and ford 5.0 are going to end up costing the most and are going to be hardest with little aftermarket support.
                Also 5.3s are about 700-1000 lq4, lq9 are about 2000 up
                And just to reiterate a 4.0 swap in place of a 2.5 is not easy and not much less work than a ls.
                If you have any questions for someone who has acctually done LS swap let me know....
                Justwannawheel where can you get a lq4 for under 1000.

Comment

I've never understood the fascination of a 4bt swap into a Jeep. When you look at the hp/torque of each motor (the 4.0 vs 4bt) they are fairly similar. As for a V8 swap, you get the cool factor but no gain in rock crawling other than the ability to burn out on the dirt. I say sell the 4 banger, buy a 6 banger.
                  97 TJ, 4 squirrels and the awesome AX-5, Sunray 9" axles, 37" Toyo's.

Comment

Originally posted by FluffyBunny View Post
                    I've never understood the fascination of a 4bt swap into a Jeep. When you look at the hp/torque of each motor (the 4.0 vs 4bt) they are fairly similar. As for a V8 swap, you get the cool factor but no gain in rock crawling other than the ability to burn out on the dirt. I say sell the 4 banger, buy a 6 banger.
                    I will have to agree with ya on that 4bt, also the noise that thing makes.
                    2000 TJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 06 Super Duty Diffs, D60/Sterling, ARBs, 5.38, 40” stickies, Weld on beadlocks, PSC full hydro steering, Vanco hydroboost, 16” King coilovers & King bumps, a radio that makes noise & a working Winch.

Comment

Originally posted by flipper View Post
                      If you go 4.0 you still need engine mounts rewelded, trans mounts redone and input on tcase and driveshafts and wireing and the cost of the engine and trans. To do a LS its the same so work wise your about the same. Anyone saying the 4.0 swap is easy has not done it nor really looked into before. 4bt and ford 5.0 are going to end up costing the most and are going to be hardest with little aftermarket support.
                      Agreed, and by the time you go through all the work to put in the 4.0 you still do not get the power advantage that the LS based engines have to offer. One thing the OP hasn't stated is his intended use for his rig and what, if any, of the original drive train he is planing on keeping. I'm not sure of the exact year his TJ is but if its a pre-2003 then a transmission swap is going to be pretty much essential. The AX5 and the 30RH will not stand up to the power of any of these choices and might be iffy behind a 4.0. The post 2003 NV1500 and 42RLE would be better but not by much considering the 42RLE has been known to have some longevity issues behind the 4.0. Being that this is likely a daily, and for the sake of an easier install, i would say that the 4l60e or 4l80e would still be the best option. They are designed to work with the factory electronics and the 4l60e provides a particularly good first gear ratio at 3.06:1. If you're not into reworking the engine harness yourself, which lets face it most aren't, the check out Howell EFI or Speartech. They can re-work your existing harness and flash the computer to get rid of the VATS and emissions junk if you don't want to mess with it. I'm really not trying to scare you away from doing this swap, just pointing out some things to think about and watch out for. Sometimes its the smallest things that you don't think about that will sideline a project.

Comment

Flipper.....

The places I work allow for getting ahold of an LQ4 with harness for 700 or so. About 2 a year. Shoot right now there's an LQ4 on Craigslist for $350 OBO!! Either way man, when you do your due diligence excellent deals are out there when you are patient. I have $400 in my 4.0, 42le, 231 complete with harness and PCM.

I had to fab 100% of my build. Clearly understand what it takes to make it happen. Just by reading his post, I think he's just trying to get a little more kick than a 2.5 can give and was curious if doing a different engine swap would be smarter.

In the end I don't think he wants what an LS swap will bring start to finish. A 4.0 is by far the most practical because the jeep was designed for it and the general public throws away that combination daily at the scrap yard. They arent sought after.

Put "LS engine" in your search bar and count how many forums pop up about guys who want them, have them and want to be an LS engine. Lol
                        Last edited by Greg; 11-03-2013, 07:23 PM. Reason: bad word

Comment

Working...
                        X