Will Dana 30 from XJ fit TJ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Dana 30 from XJ fit TJ?

I need to switch out the front Axle housing on my 2006 TJ/LJ. Will a Dana 30 front for Cherokee XJ (Year ?) bolt directly to my 06 LJ?

Originally posted by scottphoto View Post
    I need to switch out the front Axle housing on my 2006 TJ/LJ. Will a Dana 30 front for Cherokee XJ (Year ?) bolt directly to my 06 LJ?
    Yes it will.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

And it will give you a high pinion allowing more ground clearance and also provide a stronger ring & pinion due to the reverse rotation.

Comment

It will fit, XJ's and TJ's have the same suspension up front.

The XJ one is a high pinion, which is stronger, but I've heard at stock height the higher pinion can cause some clearance issues with TJ exhaust. If you're lifted, no problem.

You'll want to get one from a 91+ XJ. Older XJ's had a two piece passenger side shaft with a vacuum disconnect feature... its a less ideal housing with weaker shafts, and in order to properly convert to a 1 piece shaft you have to dremel out a spot for a seal (I've done it, not fun and easy to screw up).

Ideally find one with ABS and you'll get 297x ujoints instead of 260's.

Comment

Not all XJs have high pinion axles. The 2000s were hit and miss, and all 2001s have low pinion 30s. If you need to swap over gears and/or lockers, keep this in mind as you can't put low pinion parts into a high pinion housing.

You don't have to have ABS to have the 297 joint. Any 97 and up will have 297s. Stick to the 97+ for this reason and so you will not have the vacuum disconnect.

Comment

Working...
          X