Opinions on my front suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on my front suspension

I've had a couple of people take note that my front control arms don't seem to be a normal setup and when I've looked at the photos on Iron Rock's website of their long arms it seems that their photo supports the confusion.

I've taken a bunch of photos and posted them in this album, https://picasaweb.google.com/1016442...rontSuspension

I started at the passenger arm, then the drivers side. I then put the drivers side and then passengers side up a ramp and took some more photos of the articulation.

This is the kit that my arms are supposed to be from http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX

In the photo on Iron Rock's site, only one arm has the Y shape with both a lower and upper connection on the axle side. The other arm is a single connection point.

On my Jeep, both driver and passenger have Y shaped arms. The drivers side has the Iron Rock Offroad lettering in the plate spanning the Y like in the picture from Iron Rock's kit.

I'm going to send the album to Iron Rock to see if this was an older design, something that the Previous Owner added onto the arm, or what but I was also hoping to get some opinions from the guys on here with a better understanding of suspension designs, geometries, etc.

I know the stock mounts are still there and are a potential contact point. They seem to not be interfering up to the point that I articulated in the photos (which seems to be close to my limits as the tire didn't have much more room before contact and the spring was only being retained by a couple of coils). I'll probably take a whack at the brackets with a cutting disc on my grinder before the weekend just to be sure.

There weren't any noises and the movement seemed fluid while going up the ramp. Some people have commented I'd have binding issues with this setup but as far as I know I haven't.

My set up is like yours with the exception being that I have adjustable upper links. The stock mounting points have been cut off. I don't know who made mine.

97 TJ, 4 squirrels and the awesome AX-5, Sunray 9" axles, 37" Toyo's.

Comment

I would guess the extra arm was added by PO.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn View Post
        I would guess the extra arm was added by PO.
        x2

Comment

I think some long arms are 3links and by the look you have a radius arm setup like thr re and tnt kits.
          1998 Jeep Cherokee,183K 4.0,D30 Aussie locked,Chry 8.25,4.88 gears,AJ's OffRoad Armor Super Suckrails,C4x4 Winch Bumper with Warn XD9000I , 6.5" RE lift., TNT longarms 33x12.50x15 Mud Rovers , If it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape & Zip Ties... If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40 & aHammer SOLD!!!
          sigpic

Comment

Ok looks like the like you sumitted is a 3 link setup.
            1998 Jeep Cherokee,183K 4.0,D30 Aussie locked,Chry 8.25,4.88 gears,AJ's OffRoad Armor Super Suckrails,C4x4 Winch Bumper with Warn XD9000I , 6.5" RE lift., TNT longarms 33x12.50x15 Mud Rovers , If it moves and shouldn't, use Duct Tape & Zip Ties... If it doesn't move and should, use WD-40 & aHammer SOLD!!!
            sigpic

Comment

IRO is not a true 3 link, because the driver's side with the upper arm is in a y-link setup. However, their current offering does not have that extra upper on the passenger side. I also don't recall them every offering one like that, but that is not to say they didn't. I would contact them and ask, but my bet would also be - "added by the PO".

Comment

Take it all off and convert it to leaf springs like I did. You will be amazed how easy the swap is

Comment

FluffyBunny, yes I've seen ones like that with adjustment and flex in the joints but haven't been able to find ones with both sides being static angles.

Part of what I'm looking for here is, what are the Pros and Cons of what I have right now and what are the Pros and Cons of if it were like how it is on IRO's site with only the drivers side radius arm and passenger LCA.

If this was a PO add-on and I wanted to go to the IRO setup, can I just cut the upper add-on arm off or is that going to effect something in my suspensions geometry?

Freak, I'm good with coils in the front, it puts me one step above the YJs as far as being ridiculed by the Wrongler crowd :).

Comment

Ya ya, I've got the leaf sprung square headlight wrangler and a Cherokee on leafs but at least I don't own a jk or worse a liberty

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacXJ View Post
                      FluffyBunny, yes I've seen ones like that with adjustment and flex in the joints but haven't been able to find ones with both sides being static angles.

Part of what I'm looking for here is, what are the Pros and Cons of what I have right now and what are the Pros and Cons of if it were like how it is on IRO's site with only the drivers side radius arm and passenger LCA.

If this was a PO add-on and I wanted to go to the IRO setup, can I just cut the upper add-on arm off or is that going to effect something in my suspensions geometry?

Freak, I'm good with coils in the front, it puts me one step above the YJs as far as being ridiculed by the Wrongler crowd :).
                      x3 on that PS upper being added by the PO. As far as any downsides so what you've got right now, the only real one is your caster is no longer adjustable. If the caster was set properly before the PO welded that solid upper on, then you should be OK though. Caster isn't something that should need to be adjusted very often anyway.

On the 'pro' side the only one is adding a bit of strength and redundancy since there are now two upper arms (and bolts) controlling axle rotation vs just one in the standard IRO design.

Technically, with both uppers being solid (vs uppers w/bushing connections to the LCAs) you'll have a bit more stress on the UCA bushings in the axle, but not enough to amount to any real issues. If you wanted to cut off that PS upper, you could, but IMHO it's not hurting anything. Basically, it's not really going to make any noticeable difference either way.

IRO's long-arms are specifically designed to not require cutting the factory LCA mounts off. That's one of their selling points vs RE, T&T, Rusty's, etc (or used to be at least). So like the extra UCA, you can cut them off if you want, but it's not really necessary.
                      Jason West
                      '16 JKUR, RE/Synergy 3.5" lift, 37" STT Pros, Expedition One bumpers
                      '95 XJ, RE 5.5", 35" MT/Rs, 4.56s, D30/ARB, D44/Detroit, Warn hubs, lots of armor, LED tail lights, XD9000i w/synthetic rope
                      '14 RAM 1500, HEMI, Rambox, air suspension, BAKFlip G2 tonneau, Husky liners

Comment

Yeah, IRO's response is that upper arm was added on after the fact.

They say without it I'd get better flex and less binding, but I'm not sure if I'm really suffering either of those issues.

On the flexing portion, when I did my tests on the ramp that are in the photos it seemed to flex fine. I could have pushed it a little bit further up the ramp still.

To go much further than that, I think I'd need more travel on my shocks, longer brake lines and some spring retainers from what I'm seeing.

When reading up in their FAQ they mentioned their arms are designed to avoid the pinion unlike the straight arms. So I guess that is also making it avoid the stock mounts.

Still curious about knocking off that upper arm, just worried about changing its behavior for the worse. Its road manners are pretty good for what it is, so wouldn't want to introduce some issue that I don't have now.

Comment

Working...
                        X