Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A whip cannot be tuned. That's why they are labeled the most "user friendly" however once your rig is set up there is always radio tuning & equipment adjustments that can be done to top notch your system.

Comment

It can kinda be tuned with the spring. Some whips on some radios with differing lengths of coax react differently with different springs or with no spring at all.
      sigpic

Comment

Question. I picked up a 3' firestik and a bracket to mount it to the spare tire carrier of my 2012 JKU. I found that it is too tall the for the garage. I am thinking a better mount would be a driver side hood mount. I saw a picture where someone had a bracket the mounted under the hood. Has anyone seen this and know if it would work for 2012 Rubi?

Comment

Originally posted by Microxot View Post
          Question. I picked up a 3' firestik and a bracket to mount it to the spare tire carrier of my 2012 JKU. I found that it is too tall the for the garage. I am thinking a better mount would be a driver side hood mount. I saw a picture where someone had a bracket the mounted under the hood. Has anyone seen this and know if it would work for 2012 Rubi?
          I have this on my TJ, probably would work on a JK.
          http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/MK-J4R.htm

I recommend a Heavy-duty SS spring over the Medium-duty or it will flop around on the highway

http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/SS-3M.htm
          Last edited by Bear; 01-02-2013, 10:30 AM.
          Black 2000 TJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-Spd., RE LA 5.5", 36" IROK's, ARB's front & rear, and more..
          Amsoil Independent Dealer
          sigpic
          www.lubedealer.com/BDS_Lube

Comment

Thanks for the info Bear. It says the mount is for 97 and newer. I did a search on the internet and it pops up as compatible for 2012 Wrangler (though it should be installed 8" away from the back edge of the fender for durability) So I ordered it and and the heavy duty spring. Now to figure out how to get it through the firewall and to the center console.

Update. The mount doesn't work for 2012 so I ended up getting a better license plate bracket and attaching the antenna to that.

The Cobra 75WX ST worked okay ( though hard to hear other people. If I turned it up all the way the sound got distorted) until last week when the speaker shorted out. I picked up a Uniden Pro 520XL and wow! what a difference! I can actually hear people without having to turn the volume up all the way. I picked up a mount from Quadratec for the 510 and mounted it to the side of the console so it is close, but out of the way. I am going to enjoy this cb way better than the pos 75WX.

Comment

I like the bigger is better theory. I am running an old school Cobra from the 70's. (you know back when a radio license was required and I have my Grandmothers license too just for keeps sake) It came off the family farm from the farm truck. My mom thought I could use it and I immediately installed it in my Jeep. The is old radio is way more powerful than a lot of the modern day ones. I love it. I run a 4' firestick adjustable antenna. Radio is mounted behind the console. I fell victim to the 18'' cable "rule" but coiled up nicely under the passenger seat. Running an external speaker and a new hand mic.

Comment

good info.

Comment

Good info thanks

Comment

I am glad to see this thread is still here.

Comment

Comment

You bet it is..!

One of the BEST tech threads we have had on the LSJC forum. Good to hear from you Steven.
                        James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

Thank you and good to hear from you too James.

Comment

Working...
                          X