3.8 tarus fan...question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.8 tarus fan...question

ok i had o'reilly 12" fans on it and they just were not cutting it, off-road it was actaully running about 250-265 little scary if you ask me, so i want to upgrade to a 3.8L ford tarus fan (one with 2 speeds) question is which on do i need...i know that the years are '90-'95, but is the fan i need/want the one on the high performance 3.8L or the standard 3.8L? if so what is the difference between the 2? cause i found a used one for like 60 bucks with shipping that is the 4000 cfm on high and i found one for the standard 3.8L for 100 bucks but he said it is for a standard 3.8L and gives no cfm rating, thanks in advance for the info.
    Clay

When looking at the fan you can see a difference in the motor. Get the one with the pancake style motor. HO or Not, doesn't matter. The shround size will vary from year to year. You can pull one at a Pick N Pull for $30 locally. If their are none in the Ford Taurus look at the Mercury Sables. All the ones I pulled are off the 3.8L motor and function the same. The 3.0L fans have a larger longer motor.

Comment

how well does this fan work? i mean you think it'll keep my toy cool...i know it puts out almost 3.5 time more air then both the 12" from o'reillys combined. i wanna go play but i can not until this issue is resolved

Comment

Couldn't it be another problem? I haven't seen fans cure overheating before, as I have learned this summer
        ________
        medical marijuana dispensary
        Last edited by xjj33p3r; 01-20-2011, 11:08 PM.

Comment

They work very well. Push more air than my little shop fan. I run mine on low speed about 99% of the time. The motor is a TPI 305 w/ceramic coated block huggers, aluminum 3" 2 core radiator and no fenders.

Comment

Mine works great, it's the way to go.

I keep mine on high, it's easier that way. LOL

Comment

there is no other problems best i can tell... motor is new (had all machince work done at a race shop), put it together myself so i know i did not miss anything, all accessories on the front of it are new (water pump power, steering pump, alternator, etc.) has a 4 core radiator. i belive the fan will fix the problem because i had a flex fan on it from o'reillys but i never got a shroud for it. while it is goin around 30 the heat stabalizes to about 210-215 with the flex fan by itself. when i had to dual fans on there while cruising it sat a 200, but when i would stop at a light the water temps rose quickly i am guess due to the lack of air flow. i assume this because it stabalized when i had airflow at speed.

Comment

it should have the shroud on it for proper cooling of the radiator if there is no shroud on it it will not pull enough air thru radiator to keep it cool

Comment

Has it been this way sense the new engine build? if so my guess would be timing. It can be just one tooth off and run hotter than a fire cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJeepMan4804
                    has a 4 core radiator.
                    How old is the radiator?

Comment

yes it has but i double checked all that when it was built it did not always run hot, when it was 75 and under all the time it ran at a steady 215 on or off-road. radiator was about a month old before the motor swap/build. was flushed 2 times to ensure it was not clogged before being re-installed.

Comment

Working...
                      X