Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would headers replace the stock exhaust manifold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would headers replace the stock exhaust manifold?

I was told by a shop my exhaust manfiold is cracked, it's leaking and loud. Quote for like $600 to replace it stock; if instead of get some aftermarket headers for my 1998 XJ, would I still need to replace the exhaust manifold or would the headers replace that?

headers would replace the stock manifold. just be careful as some headers are more prone to cracking as well.

Comment

Thanks! Could you recommend some good ones? Also they are a fraction of the cost of replacing it with a factor stock one... go figure.

Comment

Will all depend on the jeep. A little more detail would help a ton.
        The Silver Bullet - 05 LJ Under Construction
        Tigger - 85 CJ-7 Under Full Restoration

Comment

You say it’s a ‘98 XJ so I assume it’s a 4.0 I6.
          It’s such a long engine and with the natural heating and cooling cycles it’s tough to keep the 1 piece exhaust manifold from cracking, which is why they went to a 2 piece design on later engines. Unfortunately the 2 piece manifolds won’t fit the earlier head. I’ve tried a couple different headers but they eventually ended up with the same problem.
          What I’m using now and what’s lasted the longest is an oem replacement manifold, but the #1 and #6 tubes are corrugated flexible pieces that allow for some movement.
          I don’t remember exactly which one I bought but it’s very similar to this.

https://www.autozone.com/emission-co...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Not sure if they make it or if it will fit is using a long tube header but it requires re-doing the one down pipe. I know you can do it on a TJ
            97’ TJ on 37’s with 4 Angry Squirrels
            2020 F250 Powerstroke Tow Pig

Comment

Working...
            X