Announcement

Collapse

UPCOMING OFFICIAL & Unofficial LSJC EVENTS 2019:

*9/20/19 - 9/21/19 - Big Paw Crawl - (Katemcy Rocks - Mason)

*10/13/19 -State Fair Classic Corral - PAID MEMBERS ONLY - **SUNDAY** (Fair Park-Dallas)

*10/25/19 - 10/27/19 - Crawl-O-Ween - (Disney)

*11/8/19 - 11/10/19 - Veteran's Day Run - (Hot Springs)

*11/29/19 - Turkey Trot Run - (Bridgeport)

See more
See less

2016 Garmin GPS Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Garmin GPS Update

I have a 2016 Rubicon UNL with the I think 430N radio with GPS. I have tried numerous times to get an update with no success. in 2018, I paid my money and ordered the "update", only to find that the thing did not work. Spent two hours on phone with Tech Supt with no luck. They finally said send it back and they would send me another, except I had to pay UPS shipping return. I never received the replacement and finally called them and they finally returned my money and said there was no update available. They did not refund my UPS shipping for the return either. Had a notice about an update on my GPS several times and called and was told that there was no update available. I received an email notice in August for an update, so I paid my money again and finally received the update. I have a F150 Raptor with a Garmin GPS and it is so easy to update. Plug in the SD Card and it updates. This Chrysler GPS update is a pile of crap! You would think it was designed by the Russians to keep hackers away. It is not enough to have 25 digit serial number on the documentation and the unit number of your radio, but you have to jack around with Chrysler to get an "activation code". To get an access code, there is an online procedure you have to follow and step 6 is accessing one of the SD cards that came with the update and clicking on a file, "GarminDevice.xml". This is the same problem I had with the 2018 failed installation. There is no "GarminDevice.xml" file on the Map Data SD card, so no authorization code. No authorization code; no update, so I am still trying unsuccessfully to update my GPS Map file since 2017 with no luck! I have three other free standing Garmin GPS including a 760RV which has lifetime map updates. Simple process to update the maps. Chrysler must have hired the KGB to write the procedure tu update this GPS! I think I am going to call the Chrysler Zone Manager and complain. This is the biggest crock I have ever seen! Has anyone else had this problem or is it just me????

You have to insert a blank usb drive and go to your maps settings and click on the three dots "..." and then click on Update Map. That will create a GarminDevice.xml file on the usb drive.
    Jeff
    2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
    2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

Step 1:

How to update your Nav software on the RHB radio in your 2015 Jeep wrangler.docx

Make sure you write down your radio serial # and Radio ID #. I took pics of my screen beforehand.

The usb cannot be a high cap and it has to be usb 2 not 3. You must be able to format it in fat32 before you start

Once you get the USB set up go to jeep and start it. not accessory START it. Go to nav then system then map update and click it. It will prompt to insert usb, do it now. Then wait. It will tell you when you are done. Then take it out and turn off jeep. This is the first step in getting the current software drivers updated in your Nav.

Step 2

Now go to home computer and log into garmin express. If you dont have that you need to install it on your computer.

Once you have that create account.

Step 3

Go to Jeep website here, https://chryslergroup.navigation.com...ChryslerNA/USD

Enter your year make model and radio model it will take you to the link below;

Then enter your radio ID Here https://chryslergroup.navigation.com...ChryslerNA/USD

This will tell you what update you need if any. If needed it will add it to your usb and then you go to the garmin express for additional info for the usb. Them you can you follow the same steps to update your radio. Make sure the jeep is RUNNING at idle to do all of this.

Once you get this part updated you can then, and only then, update your maps with your usb card that was purchased.

If you need help at this point let me know.

Step 4

Installing the actual map update there are 2 sets of instructions. You must start with them in order. they dont say which is first. There should be a blue folder with 2 steps, start with this folder then use the other. You will be back and forth from comp to jeep a few times.

Please remember that at all steps of this process your jeep has to be RUNNING otherwise the nav will time out and shut down, locking you out of your radio. Hopefully you get a screen asking for the 5 digit code and your radio serial number. If you do youre lucky! Enter them and start over, yup start over with step 4. Oh, the security code has to be obtained from a dealer. Good Luck ;) Get it first just in case.

Make sure you have plenty of gas as you will be idling for several hours during this process. Yes when they say it cam take up to 2 hours it comes close.

Hope this helps Im trying to remember it all as much as Im trying to forget this whole mess!! Hahahahah
      Attached Files
      Last edited by RedRubiconLJ; 09-03-2019, 06:47 PM.
      2015 JKUR Red
      2013 JKUR Black SOLD
      2005 LJR Red SOLD
      2004 TJ Silver SOLD
      1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Does it matter that it is a ‘16 not a ‘15? The instructions with the two SD cards don’t jive. Computers are a world of exact strings. They do not clearly identify which card. It says they will send a confirmation email. No email. Tells you to go to web site enter SN, unit ID, then insert Map Data SD and find Garmindevice.xml. No such file on the SD. Next step says find garminidentifier.xml, which is there. There seems to be three sets of instructions in no specific order, but there had to be a specific order.

This is the same crap they sent me in Jan 2018 that did not work. This one doesn’t work either. Spent 1 hr 45 min on hold for tech support and finally gave up. My ‘14 Raptor has Garmin GPS and to update, you stick a SD update card, push a button and it is done. I have an RV 760 and a Nuvi 8 and use Garmin Express. Load the program, select which GPS and download the update and plug in the GPS and that is it. This Chrysler version must have been designed by the Russians to keep Americans from using the software they paid an exorbitant price for! A classic POS! One can buy a real GOS that works with lifetime map updates for about two years of updating this junk, not to speak of saving hours of time and endless amounts of frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by TurboDaveTX View Post
          Tells you to go to web site enter SN, unit ID, then insert Map Data SD and find Garmindevice.xml. No such file on the SD. Next step says find garminidentifier.xml, which is there. There seems to be three sets of instructions in no specific order, but there had to be a specific order.
          You have to have a blank SD formatted in Fat32. Now place a folder on there called Garmin. Go to your Nav unit, settings, Update Map. Insert SD when it asks. It will create a GarminDevice.xml file in the Gamin folder. Now you can do the online part.
          Jeff
          2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
          2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

Jeff, I did all of this with the guy from wherever on the phone. Blank SD formated for Fat32, created a garmin folder, and he said also create a file, Garmin.txt and save it in the folder. Insert in Nav Unit, settings, update Map, Insert SD and it says "reading" and does nothing else. Sat there for more than 30 minutes and did nothing. The guy from wherever said, create a new SD over 8GB, format fat32, create garmin Sub directory, and create a file Garmin.txt in the folder. So I did that with all the steps and when it says insert, insert the new SD card, it says "reading" and sits there and does nothing for about 20 minutes.

This things simply does not work! I have been trying to update the Maps on this unit since December 2017 with no success. I spent more than two hours on phone with the whoever it is wherever it is and they finally said send it back and they would send me another. Unfortunately, they never sent me another and said there was no update available. This 430 N is the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen and it was almost $ 1,300 on the list!

Comment

Does it matter that it is a ‘16 not a ‘15? The instructions with the two SD cards don’t jive. Computers are a world of exact strings. They do not clearly identify which card. It says they will send a confirmation email. No email. Tells you to go to web site enter SN, unit ID, then insert Map Data SD and find Garmindevice.xml. No such file on the SD. Next step says find garminidentifier.xml, which is there. There seems to be three sets of instructions in no specific order, but there had to be a specific order.

This is the same crap they sent me in Jan 2018 that did not work. This one doesn’t work either. Spent 1 hr 45 min on hold for tech support and finally gave up. My ‘14 Raptor has Garmin GPS and to update, you stick a SD update card, push a button and it is done. I have an RV 760 and a Nuvi 8 and use Garmin Express. Load the program, select which GPS and download the update and plug in the GPS and that is it. This Chrysler version must have been designed by the Russians to keep Americans from using the software they paid an exorbitant price for! A classic POS! One can buy a real GOS that works with lifetime map updates for about two years of updating this junk, not to speak of saving hours of time and endless amounts of frustration.
              It doesnt matter, the process is the same. When you format the usb and then plug it in, it will say reading. It may take a while. Your jeep has to be running or the nav will time out in the background. Once it reads it it will put the current info on the usb. Then you get to go to the garmin express on your comp and it will read it and say yes or no to an update. if you need one it will put it on your usb. Then go back to jeep start it, go back to map update and when it asks to insert the usb do so. It will then update the radio software and when done it will say so.

Now, you take the map update micro card and place it in the radio with its usb adapter, it will read your radio info then say remove. You need to have the jeep running at every step. Once it says remove go back to the jeep update web site above and it will ask you to place each of the folders they ask for from the usb into their page . It will then verify that is the correct may update and unlock it by placing the code on the usb. (there is no email coming) You now get to go back to the jeep and start it up again and place the map update back in after the prompt and will upload the new update.

I agree this is way more complicated then it needs to be.

I spent 3 hrs doing just the initial software update. Then another 8 doing the Map update

Mine took a while because I had the same trial and error you are having. Hopefully my explanation reduces or avoids it.
              2015 JKUR Red
              2013 JKUR Black SOLD
              2005 LJR Red SOLD
              2004 TJ Silver SOLD
              1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Any luck?
                2015 JKUR Red
                2013 JKUR Black SOLD
                2005 LJR Red SOLD
                2004 TJ Silver SOLD
                1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Spent most of the day fooling around with it and the tech support people no no avail. The Radio USB port didn't seem to be doing anything. Finally, TS concluded the USP port was not working and I need to take it to a dealer. The dealer is having about as much fun screwing with this piece of junk as I was having. I took it in yesterday morning at 7:30 and it spent all day and it has been there all day today. When I brought it in, they stuck their test plug in the port and said that thre was a radio error code, but the service manager didn't know what it meant. They called me about an hour ago after the end of day two and said they are still working on it and it says that the software and the map software update are loaded. So, how did the map software update get loaded? I was not successful in loading or updating anything!

So we await to see what happens on day 3! How could Chrysler creat such a screwed up radio that a Jeep dealer can't fix it or replace it in two full shop days?

A Genuine P.O.S!

Comment

Spent most of the day fooling around with it and the tech support people no no avail. The Radio USB port didn't seem to be doing anything. Finally, TS concluded the USP port was not working and I need to take it to a dealer. The dealer is having about as much fun screwing with this piece of junk as I was having. I took it in yesterday morning at 7:30 and it spent all day and it has been there all day today. When I brought it in, they stuck their test plug in the port and said that thre was a radio error code, but the service manager didn't know what it meant. They called me about an hour ago after the end of day two and said they are still working on it and it says that the software and the map software update are loaded. So, how did the map software update get loaded? I was not successful in loading or updating anything!

So we await to see what happens on day 3! How could Chrysler creat such a screwed up radio that a Jeep dealer can't fix it or replace it in two full shop days?

A Genuine P.O.S!
                    Jeep and garmin both said the same thing to me about the process being so convoluted... I think that is why they went to the car play on the new JLs.

Hopefully its all updated and working for you the way it is supposed to, soon!

I was going to offer to look at it for ya at the meeting thursday night if you hadnt figured it out yet.
                    2015 JKUR Red
                    2013 JKUR Black SOLD
                    2005 LJR Red SOLD
                    2004 TJ Silver SOLD
                    1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Well, wrapping up day 5 without success. I stopped at the dealer yesterday afternoon to see where they are. The service manager said "it doesn't work" and I would have to call some Chrysler number and go over all of this with them and they would give me a case number and they would talk to the dealer. They asked me for the diagnosis code, and I said "The friggin thing doesn't work" and they don't know what the trouble code for that is. They said they would call and talk with the dealer. Service advisor called me this afternoon and said they had talked with whoever wherever these people are and told them the radio need replacing, so it is like Medicare, we now have to wait and see if they are going to cover this under warranty or try to sluff all or part of it on me. I hope not because if the people that do the software were able to send me a replacement software update in January 2018 when it didn't work, we would have know that there was a problem with the radio, but no, didn't happen, so it took from January 2018 until September 2019 to get a software update and finally they conclude something is wrong with the radio. So at this late hour, I suspect it will be at least Monday before I hear anything, and if they do replace the radio, probably Wednesday at the earlies before it would arrive.

This has been the most disappointing thing I have ever had with a Jeep. I told the Service Manager yesterday, My 2003 Jeep TJ (now owned by my son) had a cracked piston and it took a local repair shop four days to pull the engine, tear it down, do a valve job, change the radiator, install new pistons, rings, bearings, seals, and gaskets, reassemble it and reinstall it in the jeep and it ran and you can't even get a GPS Map update done in four days (now 5)!

Comment

In the continuing saga of Jeeps 430N piece of crap radio, my Jeep has now been at the Jeep dealer for 8 full days. By last thursday afternoon, they determined the friggin thing isn't working. Don't know the trouble code for that. I spent amost an hour talking on the phone to someone somewhere at Chrysler and told them the life history. The guy said they would call the dealership and find out what was going on. The service writer called me late Friday and said he had talked to them and now it was up to them to decide if they were oing to waranty my radio or attempt to get me to pay for some or all of the cost of replacing it. so here it is another day gone and not a word from Chrysler or the dealership. I hope they don't think I am going to pay for a replacement radio, since I had this same problem in January 2018 when it was under waranty, and the Chrysler software people told me it probably was a bad SD Card and had me return it for an exchange. Only there was never an exchange. They told me after I returned the cards that there was no new software updates available, when most likely, it was not the software other than the impossibility of updating the map software, but a problem with the radio. The same one they are dealing with now for 8 days!

BAAH!

Comment

This is getting old. Almost through day nine trying to get GPS Map updated. Stopped by the dealership this afternoon to find out what was going on. The service writer said he had not heard anything from the case I opened Thursday other than they had called and he gave them all the info he had, so he called them while I was waiting. The whoever it was finally said, "I will Expedite it", something they should have done Thursday. They said "you should hear something back in two or three days." Am I glad this was not a life or death matter or one that disabled my vehicle or that I didn't have a few others I can drive while I wait on them? Chrysler still has not said if they are considering warrantying my failed radio or not! I have never seen or encountered such lousy service with an automobile in my life!

Comment

Working...
                          X