Engine light on

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greg View Post
    Maybe I missed it but, did you check your Catalytic converters? If they are starting to fall apart inside all sorts of funny things can happen.
    No I haven't. How's the best way to check them?

Comment

When my Suburbans failed it would rattle, if you hit them with your hand you can hear loose stuff, if that loose stuff turns sideways it can clog the Cat.
      It just seems like something in the path would have changed if that many O2's are failing.
      You might also check them after a long drive to see if they are red hot.
      Note: I am not a mechanic, I just break a lot of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg View Post
        When my Suburbans failed it would rattle, if you hit them with your hand you can hear loose stuff, if that loose stuff turns sideways it can clog the Cat.
        It just seems like something in the path would have changed if that many O2's are failing.
        You might also check them after a long drive to see if they are red hot.
        Note: I am not a mechanic, I just break a lot of stuff.
        Sounds good. I'm no mechanic either, thus all the questions. Thanks for the ideas though.

Comment

Well my engine light still came on after replacing the loom and I need to repair it by the end of the month. What's a good place near Carrollton that I can take it to properly track down the problem. Im getting to a point where it will cost hundreds to replace parts and I can't afford to replace the catalytic converters and the PCM and whatever other parts I could replace simply trying to track down the problem. I don't have the proper equipment or know-how to troubleshoot it myself.

Comment

I would immerse myself in web research about the problem. I think most shops will do just as you're doing. They would replace part A to see if it fixes it, if not replace part B, and so on. Most shop rates are over $100/hour. I know PCMs can cause all types of problems. Maybe tried to find a junk yard PCM or eBay. If I thought that it were the cats, I would cut them off with a sawzall to inspect and find someone to weld them back up. Best of luck to you, it sounds like a nightmare.

Comment

Well guys a funny thing happened Tuesday, I was warming up the Jeep revving it up for about 15 min turned it off then went inside. When I went to take my daughter to school I turned on the Jeep and no engine light! It's been that way since then, no light. I'm thinking it may be the catalytic converter being bad and when I was revving up the engine it unclogged it for the time being. I'll see, hopefully it lasts until I can afford repairing it completely.

Comment

Working...
              X