4x4 light comes on occasionally at cold start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 light comes on occasionally at cold start

Has anyone ever experienced this? Occasionally my 4x4 light comes on and stays on when I start the Jeep up from a cold start. However, it is never consistent. I think there is a faulty electrical switch that is doing it, but its not something the dealership can easily reproduce. Hence, I can't get Jeep to warrantee it out. Does anyone know what I can check when this happens?

No but I can troubleshoot that for you. PM me on it.

Frank T.

Comment

Its under warranty, use it.

Comment

Drive it till it breaks that way it will cost the stealership more to fix it since they can't find the prolem now if there is a problem

Comment

Originally posted by NewJeep
          Drive it till it breaks that way it will cost the stealership more to fix it since they can't find the prolem now if there is a problem
          I would, but I'm afraid it'll break when I hit mile 30,001. Until then it'll be like it is now.

Frank, sending PM shortly

Comment

I love lemon laws remember if they can't fix it by the third trip you got lots of legal recourse

Comment

Hrm, I didn't think about that. I've taken it in once and they did see it, but they couldn't reproduce it. Where can I learn more about that?

Comment

Lemon laws only apply to a problem, repair or parts issue that disable the vehicle more than once for a period of time. An indicator light is not disabling, nor does it affect drivability. That's the dealer's viewpoint.
                More than likely you've got a sticky switch on the transfer or crud in the connector to that switch.
                Remember, the tech at the dealer usually won't get paid unless he can actually find something wrong, and if he simply replaces a part and it doesn't fix the problem, he gets a recheck, which can get into his pocket.
                Plus, if the part is examined by a tech rep after it's been replaced and found to be OK, the dealership can get charged back for that entire warranty claim. Too many chargebacks and the dealer has to have EVERY warranty repair pre-approved by a regional service rep, which can kill a dealer.
                I know, long-winded and not what you wanted to hear, but that's why they usually won't take any action unless they can make the complaint happen in the shop.

Comment

Well, I still want it to stop. So I'll probably leave it at the dealership until they can fix it.

Comment

I went to Jeep today to have them do the oil and filter change, along with a car wash to get all the bugs off the front of my Jeep from my trip. While I was there, I also had them look into my 4x4 light coming on and they saw it when I pulled in. Of course, it wouldn't come back on, but the mechanic looked to see if there were any bulletins on it. Sure enough there was, for any TJ built before Feb 24, 2005, they may have a software glitch that causes this light to intermmitently come on. This will finally be fixed Monday morning.

Comment

Geesh, you'd think they would have pulled up any TSBs the first time it hit their shop. What lame-Os

Comment

I think the first time I took it was before Feb 24 this year.

Comment

Working...
                        X