X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 Padre Island Beach Bash Run - Overnight

2014 Padre Island National Seashore Beach Bash / Jeep Run & Campout

The Longest Stretch of Undeveloped Barrier Island in The World
    Padre Island National Seashore separates the Gulf of Mexico from the Laguna Madre, one of a few hypersaline lagoons in the world. The park protects 70 miles of coastline, dunes, prairies, and wind tidal flats teeming with life. It is a safe nesting ground for the Kemp?s ridley sea turtle and a haven for 380 bird species. It also has a rich history, including the Spanish shipwrecks of 1554.

When: August 8-10, 2014
    Where: Padre Island National Seashore out of Corpus Christi
    Cost: $10 per vehicle

Meeting location will be at the Malaquite Visitor Center in the parking lot at 10:00 am Friday.
    The visitors center doesn't open until 9:00am, so this would allow some to explore the visitors center first.

The plan is to meetup on Friday at the visitor's center and drive down the beach. Find a spot to camp that night, hang out or do whatever on Saturday and drive back up on Sunday.

On your way out, the visitors center also has outside cold water rinse showers, if you want to use them.

Overnight camping is primitive so plan ahead and bring everything you will need.

Be aware that this run may be cancelled or rescheduled due to weather on the Gulf.

Guidelines:
    • The National Seashore is a Texas Public Highway. Only street legal and licensed vehicles may be driven into the park.
    • Gas - Start with a full tank. The last gas station is on the corner of S Padre Island Dr and Whitecap Bl. 15233 South Padre Island Drive, Corpus Christi, TX 78418
    • Bring 5 gallons of extra gas. (this may or may not be needed...based on how far down the beach we go and how much you run your A/C along the way)
    • Bring everything you need for overnight camping (food, lots of water, lots of sunscreen, etc.)
    • There are no bathrooms or "porta potties".
    • There is NO cellphone service, so a CB is highly recommended.
    • Trash is pack in...pack out. Bring extra trash bags, as we ALWAYS leave it better than we found it
    • Vehicle Prep - Spare tire, recovery gear (straps), and make sure your vehicle is prepared for long HOT drive

PARK ENTRANCE FEES
    Vehicle Entry Fee

$10.00/vehicle
    This is a vehicle fee and is good for seven days.

Annual Park Pass
    $20.00 Annual Fee
    An annual park pass may be obtained for $20, and is valid for a year after the day of purchase. Please note that this is a pass to Padre Island National Seashore only.

Please use the links below for more information and specific park regulations.

Park Info:
    http://www.nps.gov/pais/index.htm

Park Map:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H...it?usp=sharing

Directions:
    http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisit/directions.htm

Padre Island Driving Tips from NPS:
    http://www.nps.gov/pais/planyourvisi...achDriving.pdf

Beach Driving & Camping Tips:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-H...it?usp=sharing

================

Attendees:

Going:
    1. Bearkat
    2. Ash&Em
    3. BlackM&M
    4. quickclyde
    5. Mo
    6. "Steve"
    7. jlogan2116
    8. D.Addington
    9. Hanahou

LSJC Trail Leader - LSJC Moderator
    2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
    2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Current Weather Conditions
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...7#.U35ZcPldXh4

Live Webcam Image

Tide Report (as of 6/24/2014)

08/08 Fri 4:06 AM 1.7' H
    08/08 Fri 7:48 PM -0.5' L

08/09 Sat 4:36 AM 1.7' H
    08/09 Sat 8:44 PM -0.5' L

08/10 Sun 5:02 AM 1.6' H
    08/10 Sun 10:32 AM 1.3' L
    08/10 Sun 1:36 PM 1.4' H
    08/10 Sun 9:39 PM -0.4 L

Sunrise/Sunset

08/08 Fri 6:55 AM
    08/08 Fri 8:13 PM

08/09 Sat 6:55 AM
    08/09 Sat 8:12 PM

08/10 Sun 6:56 AM
    08/10 Sun 8:11 PM

2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier

Comment

This is our tentative plans for the trip.

Mandy & I will be driving down to Corpus Christi Thursday morning, staying in a hotel Thursday night and plan on getting to the Malaquite Visitors Center around 9ish on Friday morning. We will be having a quick "drivers meeting" around 10am, then plan on driving down the beach to where we all decide we want to camp. Not sure how far down that will be. Set up camp and hang out the rest of the day. On Saturday, those that want to can take their jeeps for a cruise further down the beach, possibly to the end at the Mansfield Channel. On Sunday, we plan to hang out that morning, have lunch then pack up camp and drive back up the beach. We will be staying in Corpus Christi again on Sunday night and will head back home Monday morning. Those planning on driving back home on Sunday will probably want to get started back up the beach much earlier.

For the trip down, we plan on taking the "more scenic" route and traveling the old highways instead of the interstate the majority of the way. Our planned route for this is to take I-45 south to a little past Corsicana then take Hwy 14 down to around Hearne. Then take Hwy 190 / Hwy 79 over to Hwy 77 down through La Grange, around Victoria and on down to Corpus Christi. If anyone would like to convoy down with us on Thursday, we can set up a meeting place and time when we get a little closer to the trip. I was thinking that maybe meeting up in Ennis somewhere would be a good location. Possibly meet for some breakfast before really getting going on the drive down. Also, I figure we could stop for lunch somewhere around Hearne or La Grange. Ideas are welcomed!

Here is a link to Google Maps of our planned route down. It looks to be about a 6 1/2 hr trip from Downtown Dallas.
      http://goo.gl/maps/v7aGc

Comment

In

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dacjeep View Post
          In

Awesome!

Comment

We really liked the last trip we did there....

Comment

I'm in!

Teachers Rule.

Comment

Is there a place to park tow vehicles?

Comment

Originally posted by Mac&Daddy View Post
                  Is there a place to park tow vehicles?
                  Yes. I believe you can park them at the Ranger station but I will check or someone else can answer thst knows for sure. I do know that there is a place.

Comment

Originally posted by mattnwhit View Post
                    I'm in!

Teachers Rule.
                    Awesome!

Comment

to see who all is interested.

This is three months away so plenty of time to plan for this great outing. It will be a great way for family members who don't wheel the trails with you to get out and have some fun with the Jeep! I'd like to see a great turnout for this. It will be a blast!

Comment

the wife and I have a very high level of interest in this one

Comment

You could not pay me to go on this!!!! Sorry, I just had to say that...:D

Comment

Percilla and I did this two years ago and had a blast. It is a fantastic way to see every star in the skye, make new friends, and hang with old friends also. Play in the water and build a sans castle or fly a kite...

Comment

Put me down for me plus 3 adults.

I'm not sure if we will all be in my jeep or my jeep and a friend's 4wd pick up. We are open to suggestion.

Comment

Working...
                              X