Announcement

Collapse

UPCOMING OFFICIAL & Unofficial LSJC EVENTS 2019:

*11/29/19 - Turkey Trot Run - (Bridgeport)

*12/7/19 @ 6AM - Member’s Only Toys for Tots Run (Mesquite-McDonald's)

*12/7/19 @ 6PM - Member's Only Annual Christmas Party (Arlington-Mercado Juarez)

See more
See less

Milky Way Run (Big Bend National Park)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milky Way Run (Big Bend National Park)

milky way jeep.jpg

Milky Way Run
    July 25th - 28th
    Big Bend National Park

See More Details in Post Below...

Lone Star Jeep Club is heading to Big Bend National Park for some awesome wheeling, photography, and adventures. Please mark your calendar to join us for this iconic trip to see the Milky Way and wheel on some amazing trails. This is also another opportunity to earn another Jeep Badge of Honor trail badge.

Info for Big Bend National Park:

Operating Hours & Seasons
    Chisos Basin Visitor Center

NPS Photo/Ann Wildermuth

Park Entrances
    Park entrances are open 24 hours daily, all year. Entrance fee stations have variable seasons and hours.

Arriving After Hours
    Park entrances are always open and you can arrive at any hour, but entrance fee stations and visitor centers may be closed after normal business hours. The three main park campgrounds are always open (pending site availability); self register at the campground entrance. Lodge guests should contact the lodge if arriving after business hours.

Visitor Centers
    • Panther Junction
      Open daily, 8:30am–5:00pm. Reduced hours on Christmas day.
    • Chisos Basin
      Open daily, 8:30am–4:00pm. Closed for lunch. Reduced hours on Christmas day.
    • Persimmon Gap
      Open seasonally, November 1 - April 30, 10:00am-4:00pm.
      Closed for lunch.
    • Castolon
      Open seasonally, November 1 -April 30, 10:00am-4:00pm.
      Closed for lunch.
    • Rio Grande Village
      Open seasonally, November 1 - April 30, 9:00am–4:30pm.
      Closed for lunch.

Concession Hours
    Forever Resorts operates a variety of facilities and services in Big Bend National Park.

Boquillas Crossing Port of Entry
    Winter Season operating hours are
    8:00am - 5:00pm Wednesdays through Sundays (closed on Mondays and Tuesdays).
    Camping
    Cottonwood Campground is a shady oasis near the Rio Grande.

Developed Campgrounds
    There are four campgrounds in Big Bend National Park. The National Park Service operates three developed frontcountry campgrounds that provide drinking water and restroom facilities. The campgrounds use self-registration and the majority of sites are first-come, first-served. In addition, a full hookup RV camping area is operated by the park concessioner, Forever Resorts.

NPS Campgrounds
    Concession Campground
    • Rio Grande Village RV Campground (run by Forever Resorts. 25 sites with full hook-ups).
      located adjacent to the Rio Grande Village Store. For reservations call 1-877-386-4383 or 432-477-2293.
    NPS Campground Reservations

A limited number of campsites in the Rio Grande Village campground are reservable from November 15-April 15, and in the Chisos Basin campground from November 15–May 31. Reservations must be made 4 days ahead of arrival and can be made up to 6 months in advance by visiting recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777. Big Bend National Park cannot make reservations. For more information visit the campground reservations page. Camping Limits

Visitors can stay in the park up to 14 consecutive nights in either a front or backcountry site, with a limit of 28 total nights in the park in a calendar year. Campers can occupy a specific site up to 14 total nights in a year. Between February 1–April 15, visitors are limited to a total of 14 nights in the park.
    Camping Options Outside of Big Bend National Park

There are a variety of options for camping outside the park when Big Bend is full.

Backcountry Camping
    Permits for primitive roadside campsites, backpacking, and river-use permits are issued at Panther Junction and Chisos Basin Visitor Centers during operating hours. All permits are issued in person and must be obtained before the backcountry use. Backcountry use regulations and group size limits apply. Please visit the backcountry use page for more information. Backpacking Group Size Limit

An organized group or individual party may not exceed a 15 person limit.
    There are currently only two Chisos campsites that can accommodate a group this size: it may be necessary to split the group to other campsites. Groups of of 5 to 15 may need to split into smaller groups but groups that split up must not exceed the total of 15 people per night for any one or group of sites in the Chisos backpacking zone. As permits are issued only on a first come, first-served basis, it is best to plan ahead, and have alternative itineraries in mind, especially during peak visitation periods.
    Lodging
    The Chisos Mountains Lodge restaurant is located at the base of Casa Grande peak.Chisos Mountains Lodge

The Chisos Mountains Lodge, operated by Forever Resorts, Inc., is nestled within the Chisos Basin at 5,400 feet elevation. The lodge offers a variety of rooms and cottages, plus a gift shop, camper store, and dining room. The lodge is open year-round, and is the only lodging available within Big Bend National Park.

Area Lodging Options
    There are a variety of other accommodations available outside of Big Bend National Park. A list of accomodations is available at VisitBigBend.com.

Chisos Mountains Lodge
    PHOTO GALLERY Chisos Mountains Lodge

6 PHOTOS

Images of the lodge and associated facilities in Big Bend National Park
    Last edited by Obsession; 06-04-2019, 09:10 PM.
    Darla Ivie aka Obsession
    Cell: 940-765-3058
    2015 JKU Rubicon Unlimited - ‘Obsession’
    2001 TJ - 'Ol' Yeller'

LSJC Event Director, Trail Leader, June '18 JOTM, August '18 JOTM, January '19 JOTM, IG/FB: @jeepjunkie8

The Milky Way Run is getting close...

Who is ready for this ICONIC trip??

**CONVOY INFORMATION: We will be meeting up at the Buccee's by Texas Motor Speedway at 5:30-5:45am on Thursday morning to give everyone time to fuel up, get ice and any extra supplies before departing the location at 6 am. This should help us avoid heavy rush hour traffic departing the DFW area. We will be running on CB Channel 8 or GRMS channel 3 during the convoy unless it is determined that we need to change channels. If you would like to meet up with us at a different location along the way, please let me know. Feel free to text me 940-765-3058 about anything that you have questions about or to let me know if you are meeting up with us elsewhere.

Please remember to bring plenty of water and to hydrate during the trip down to prevent potential altitude sickness. The combination of the Chisos Mountains and the Chihuahuan desert make for an environment that can cause extreme dehydration. Please stay hydrated.

Plan is to headquarter in National Bend Park around the Chisos Basin area. It is a central location for all the trails. There is camping and air conditioned lodging available, as well as a store and restaurant close by. Several have asked about lodging outside the park. That is fine, but please be aware that it is about a 45 minute drive to get back into the park.

Tentative plan is to convoy down for those interested, leaving early Thursday AM and arriving early afternoon so we can get settled and hopefully get out on the trail for a night run with Jeep-Galaxy pics. Lots planned. Stay tuned, more details to come.

Attending:

1. Obsession
    2. VaultBoy
    3. MrBumbles
    4. AndieCw
    5. Mountain65
    6. rubi gurl
    7. RAWRR
    8. JeepinGerry
    9. Haze Gray
    10. dboelter
    11. PropDoc
    12. BMRNJPR
    13. Aconn3ll
    14. Ol' Yeller
    15. The Duke and Me
    Last edited by Obsession; 07-22-2019, 08:56 AM.
    Darla Ivie aka Obsession
    2001 TJ - 'Ol' Yeller'

LSJC Event Director, Trail Leader, June '18 JOTM, August '18 JOTM, January '19 JOTM, IG/FB: @jeepjunkie8

Comment

Just Booked Chisos Mountains Lodge for three nights. !

Comment

I'm super excited. I reserved an air-conditioned room at the Chisos Mountain Lodge at Casa Grande if anyone interested in splitting a room. Still considering camping, but keeping my options open. I am super stoked about this trip!! Hope to see you there!!

***found a roomie to split my room already***
        Last edited by Obsession; 06-07-2019, 09:53 PM.
        Darla Ivie aka Obsession
        2001 TJ - 'Ol' Yeller'

Comment

BIG BEND PARK MAP

http://npmaps.com/wp-content/uploads...l-park-map.pdf
          Darla Ivie aka Obsession
          2001 TJ - 'Ol' Yeller'

Comment

I have a room reserved at the lodge for Thu-Sun for myself and way-more-significant other...can't wait!

Comment

I'm going. I've been looking forward to this trip for months! Rooming with Darla.

Comment

Put me down please. This looks like fun!

Comment

Just booked my room also. Can't wait I'm bringing Taylor my niece with me.

Comment

Room reserved and I'm in...
                    Rob Anderson
                    JKU HardRock (Black Widow II)
                    *Honorary Member

Comment

Originally posted by BMRNJPR
                      Anyone interested in staying in a house in Terlingua? I have been going down to BBNP on a regular basis for the last 5 years and am familiar with the area. While you would have a drive into the park each and every day staying in Terlingua affords you more dining / "nightlife" options a cheaper option than staying in the Chisos lodge, and avoiding the brutal heat of BBNP in July while camping.

House is a two and one half bedroom, two bath vacation home overlooking Terlingua Creek. Conveniently located just off of highway 170 in Terlingua, with a porch overlooking a spring fed section of Terlingua Creek. This comfortable and convenient home is an ideal base for all of your Terlingua and Big Bend adventures.

The home has a private dining room, fully stocked kitchen, living room, two full bathrooms, and two and a half bedrooms. The master bedroom has a queen bed (My room) and private bathroom with a spacious shower. The second bedroom has two twin beds (where you and a buddy could stay) . There is also a semi-private space connected to the living room that has a twin bed and a small desk (where a buddy of mine might stay) . With one queen and three twin beds, the Creek House sleeps five comfortably.

Covered Porch Overlooking the Creek: The signature feature of this vacation getaway is the a spacious covered porch overlooking a spring fed portion of Terlingua Creek. Water is rare in the desert, but always in view just below our porch. In true Terlingua style, there is also a small, movable bar on the porch.

Fire Pit: Starry skies and morning coffee are best enjoyed beside our rock lined fire pit.

Buy in is $170 per person for Stay from June 25th thru 28th (check out on the 28th).

You can email me at [email protected] is you have an interest.

Thanks,
                      Brad
                      Brad, talk to Charles and Michelle Turnbow. They may be interested. They were asking questions about staying in Terlingua.

Darla Ivie aka Obsession
                      2001 TJ - 'Ol' Yeller'

Comment

This has been on my mind since it was first announced...…
                        Right now count Suzanne and myself in. We will be coming from Port A and can meet you guys there - if we can find lodging! I'm looking now...….
                        Gerry & Suzanne

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinGerry View Post
                          This has been on my mind since it was first announced...…
                          Right now count Suzanne and myself in. We will be coming from Port A and can meet you guys there - if we can find lodging! I'm looking now...….
                          Gerry & Suzanne
                          Yay!! I’m excited that y’all will be joining us!!
                          Darla Ivie aka Obsession
                          2001 TJ - 'Ol' Yeller'

Comment

Just reserved Chisos Mountain Lodge for 2 nights, my son & I will be joining you, wife undecided at this juncture. Pls sign us up

Comment

Erika and I will be going. Can't wait!

Comment

Working...
                              X