X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015JKU
    replied
    Good advice. I relate with the "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary".

Leave a comment:

• Mogwai
    replied
    That's MooMooMan's grandson's advice, too...

Link in case the embedded video doesn't work:
    https://vimeo.com/198790383

Leave a comment:

• Only In A Jeep
    replied
    Originally posted by hondo View Post
    here is MetalCloaks guide http://www.armoredworks.com/metalclo...nt-Version.pdf

MMMBeer and Cal fail at tip #36

Tip # 36: Don?t spin to win. Try not to let the tires spin, which means that they have lost
    traction. Ease off the throttle and let the tires regain traction. Don?t bounce your rig
    either if you want it to get home in one piece.
    When in doubt throttle out. Works every time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Da Cooyon
    replied
    Originally posted by Mogwai View Post
    , I'm envisioning Al and Cal standing on either side of the right line like a goalpost. It's okay to bounce off the posts, as long as you still go in between them in the end it's worth points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    See!?!?! He gets it!! LOL

Leave a comment:

• Mogwai
    replied
    Originally posted by Gator Bait View Post
    If ya mean back of off and hit it somewhere between Al and Cal...
    , I'm envisioning Al and Cal standing on either side of the right line like a goalpost. It's okay to bounce off the posts, as long as you still go in between them in the end it's worth points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• oldhippe
    replied
    As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Leave a comment:

• Da Cooyon
    replied
    Disagree. Just b/c someone wrote it, don't make it so.

Wheel spin to dry and heat your tires works. Also to hunt for traction when hung up. Slow is the way to go, but sometimes the skinny pedal is needed. Is it a risk? Of course it is. If the tires grab traction suddenly that energy has to go somewhere and if it's not forward movement, it'll be the weak link in your drive train. But when you're hung up sometimes you go for it. David and I both made the exit of Ingrids by nothing other than luck and heavy skinny pedal while working the steering. Tim was spotting. When my Jeep decided to go, it was in the exact same spot it wouldn't a moment b4. Regardless....made the obstacle and didn't break...both luck!

That said...very light throttle and 'hunting for traction" is exactly how I broke my u-joints on the YJ's D30. ...twice... So...equipment counts. And maybe a lil experience with what not to do (steering angles).

Bouncing. If you mean when the jeep starts dry humping the obstacle...ya...no good. If ya mean back of off and hit it somewhere between Al and Cal... I didn't know there was any other way to wheel!!!

Leave a comment:

• hondo
    replied
    here is MetalCloaks guide http://www.armoredworks.com/metalclo...nt-Version.pdf

MMMBeer and Cal fail at tip #36

Tip # 36: Don’t spin to win. Try not to let the tires spin, which means that they have lost
    traction. Ease off the throttle and let the tires regain traction. Don’t bounce your rig
    either if you want it to get home in one piece.

Leave a comment:

• MudMan
    replied
    :slap:

Leave a comment:

• wushaw
    replied
    I heard it was driver error in both cases.
    I'm sure....both are hard headed.[emoji3]

Leave a comment:

• Da Cooyon
    replied
    See...he always blames the driver. Its a pattern!

Leave a comment:

• hondo
    replied
    Originally posted by Gator Bait View Post
    Hmmmm......I see a trend with that guy....

Leave a comment:

• Da Cooyon
    replied
    Originally posted by Hardtimes View Post
    Yeah.....What Al said.

Hmmmm......I see a trend with that guy....

Leave a comment:

• Hardtimes
    replied
    Originally posted by wushaw View Post
    Sometimes a spotter is giving bad advice and needs to hand the reins over to someone else.

Yeah.....What Al said.

Leave a comment:

• Da Cooyon
    replied
    Originally posted by wushaw View Post
    Sometimes a spotter is giving bad advice and needs to hand the reins over to someone else.
    To borrow an Al-ism.....'That ain't no [poop]'. Spotting should be taken very seriously. If you don't know what you are doing let someone else spot. There are only a few people I'll listen too spotting. Someone w/o a clue can put you in a really bad position. I personally hate spotting. I don't feel I'm experienced enough to be able to determine from outside the Jeep what it will do. I consider spotting a skill beyond driving. ...Masters degree stuff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X