This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gator Bait View Post
    Hmmmm......I see a trend with that guy....

I heard it was driver error in both cases.

Comment

Originally posted by hondo View Post
      See...he always blames the driver. Its a pattern!

Comment

I'm sure....both are hard headed.[emoji3]
        2000 TJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 06 Super Duty Diffs, D60/Sterling, ARBs, 5.38, 40” stickies, Weld on beadlocks, PSC full hydro steering, Vanco hydroboost, 16” King coilovers & King bumps, a radio that makes noise & a working Winch.

Comment

:slap:

Comment

here is MetalCloaks guide http://www.armoredworks.com/metalclo...nt-Version.pdf

MMMBeer and Cal fail at tip #36

Tip # 36: Don’t spin to win. Try not to let the tires spin, which means that they have lost
            traction. Ease off the throttle and let the tires regain traction. Don’t bounce your rig
            either if you want it to get home in one piece.

Comment

Disagree. Just b/c someone wrote it, don't make it so.

Wheel spin to dry and heat your tires works. Also to hunt for traction when hung up. Slow is the way to go, but sometimes the skinny pedal is needed. Is it a risk? Of course it is. If the tires grab traction suddenly that energy has to go somewhere and if it's not forward movement, it'll be the weak link in your drive train. But when you're hung up sometimes you go for it. David and I both made the exit of Ingrids by nothing other than luck and heavy skinny pedal while working the steering. Tim was spotting. When my Jeep decided to go, it was in the exact same spot it wouldn't a moment b4. Regardless....made the obstacle and didn't break...both luck!

That said...very light throttle and 'hunting for traction" is exactly how I broke my u-joints on the YJ's D30. ...twice... So...equipment counts. And maybe a lil experience with what not to do (steering angles).

Bouncing. If you mean when the jeep starts dry humping the obstacle...ya...no good. If ya mean back of off and hit it somewhere between Al and Cal... I didn't know there was any other way to wheel!!!

Comment

As slow as possible, as fast as necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Gator Bait View Post
                  If ya mean back of off and hit it somewhere between Al and Cal...
                  , I'm envisioning Al and Cal standing on either side of the right line like a goalpost. It's okay to bounce off the posts, as long as you still go in between them in the end it's worth points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mogwai View Post
                    , I'm envisioning Al and Cal standing on either side of the right line like a goalpost. It's okay to bounce off the posts, as long as you still go in between them in the end it's worth points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    See!?!?! He gets it!! LOL

Comment

here is MetalCloaks guide http://www.armoredworks.com/metalclo...nt-Version.pdf

MMMBeer and Cal fail at tip #36

Tip # 36: Don?t spin to win. Try not to let the tires spin, which means that they have lost
                      traction. Ease off the throttle and let the tires regain traction. Don?t bounce your rig
                      either if you want it to get home in one piece.
                      When in doubt throttle out. Works every time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                      The Silver Bullet - 05 LJ Under Construction
                      Tigger - 85 CJ-7 Under Full Restoration

Comment

That's MooMooMan's grandson's advice, too...

Link in case the embedded video doesn't work:
                        https://vimeo.com/198790383

Comment

Good advice. I relate with the "As slow as possible, as fast as necessary".

Comment

Working...
                          X