Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preventing "unwanted" damage to your Jeep...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing "unwanted" damage to your Jeep...

I recently went out to Bridgeport OHV park and rode some trails. Went with a group of other Jeeps, and had a blast. However when I had washed the Willys clean I had noticed several tac sized nicks in my front windshield. Does this happen often for jeep due to the nature of our activities, and is there any way to help prevent this? Thinking like how we can use tempered glass on our smart phones to protect the glass on the actual device; is there a special film that we can take advantage of?
    - Aaron

Let the discussion begin!

Don't follow so close to the Jeep in ft of ya.
    2000 TJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 06 Super Duty Diffs, D60/Sterling, ARBs, 5.38, 40” stickies, Weld on beadlocks, PSC full hydro steering, Vanco hydroboost, 16” King coilovers & King bumps, a radio that makes noise & a working Winch.

Comment

It's a Jeep, that's what they do. Just a big old box rolling down the road or trail.
      James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

my insurance fixes chips for free. Might call your agent.

Lots of very good reasons to keep a bit if distance between Jeeps. You just added one I hadn't though of.

Comment

Who does your insurance? Gieco won't insure my xj because it's not stock LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by xjacob903 View Post
            Who does your insurance? Gieco won't insure my xj because it's not stock LOL
            I've used State Farm for 30 years now. I stay with them for good reason. Never had an issue insuring anything. Never had an issue collecting on a claim even with extensively modified sport bikes (compensated for all documents parts added). They even insured my LS3 swapped Miata (fully documented professional conversion). :)

Comment

Originally posted by Gator Bait View Post
              I've used State Farm for 30 years now. I stay with them for good reason. Never had an issue insuring anything. Never had an issue collecting on a claim even with extensively modified sport bikes (compensated for all documents parts added). They even insured my LS3 swapped Miata (fully documented professional conversion). :)
              Same for me, State Farm since I got my driver's license 22 years ago, and homeowners once I bought a house. Never had anything not accepted for coverage, and never had an issue with claims.

Comment

I had regular ol farmers and I was "on" my grandparents policy. (I'm only 21, almost 22).

Since I was 16 and up until now, I haven't had prior insurance but have been paying loads of money for insurance for no reason. So forget farmers

Comment

To answer the original poster, the easiest way to make sure that doesn't happen, is learn to lead your groups. If you're in front, nobody is throwing rocks and such on ya ;)

Comment

Originally posted by xjacob903 View Post
                    I had regular ol farmers and I was "on" my grandparents policy. (I'm only 21, almost 22).

Since I was 16 and up until now, I haven't had prior insurance but have been paying loads of money for insurance for no reason. So forget farmers

Insurance companies charge a lot for folks under 25....especially males.

I use State Farm, my TJ is not stock.
                    2000 TJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 06 Super Duty Diffs, D60/Sterling, ARBs, 5.38, 40” stickies, Weld on beadlocks, PSC full hydro steering, Vanco hydroboost, 16” King coilovers & King bumps, a radio that makes noise & a working Winch.

Comment

I had USAA until they re-niged on a loan. I use Brady Ingle at Farmers. Fellow jeeper. He knows how to handle a modified jeep.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Illusi0nist View Post
                        is there any way to help prevent this? Thinking like how we can use tempered glass on our smart phones to protect the glass on the actual device; is there a special film that we can take advantage of?
                        - Aaron

Let the discussion begin!
                        Researching clear bras for a possible new acquisition and came across some people using this on their windshield. Might be something to look into. http://www.clearplex.com/

Comment

Originally posted by stickerhead View Post
                          I use Brady Ingle at Farmers. Fellow jeeper. He knows how to handle a modified jeep.

^^^^^^^ Yeah what he said ^^^^^^^^^^

Besides that.......Windshields are over rated.
                          Rick Spigelmyer (214) 251-7092

?

BLING!!!!! Is My Favorite Color
                          If it don't shine......... It ain't mine !!!!

Comment

My insurance is State Farm... since fixing these nicks in the windshield can prevent the windshield from cracking all together, State Farm considers it preventative maintenance. They actually incouraged me to fix it so it doesn't get worse, which may result in an entire windshield replacement. Because there are multiple cars on the coverage, I can take it in to fix multiple times throughout the year ( I think around 9) NO CHARGE. Although since I'm fairly new to these OHV parks, I don't think I'll be leading anytime soon. However I will take that into consideration for the future and tend to stay a bit farther back on the trails.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! Much appreciated.

Comment

How fast were you driving through the trails? I would think more damage is caused just from driving on the highway. In which case, your question would still apply.

Comment

Working...
                              X