Engine Locked Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Locked Up

Out of curiosity how many of y'all have experienced an engine locking up? My jeep died a couple of days ago in the middle of driving and I was lucky enough to pull into some were safe until the tow truck came and picked it up. The dealer ran a basic diagnostic and could not get the engine to turn, and they even tried manually. They said the engine had locked up. The Jeep has 109k miles on it. I have changed the oil regularly, the only modifications done to the car is a viper auto start system and a 2.5" lift, but nothing aftermarket on the engine. I did at 74,000 miles have to have new oil pan gaskets installed since it went bad. On my end I have taken care of it, but I bought it used so I don't know what the previous owner had repaired to it because it is still stock. I am just curious to see how many people have had their engine lock up. I feel like this should not be an issue with an engine that only has 109k on it. If y'all did have your engine lock up what was the culprit? I had plans in the future to do a V8 swap, and since my engine has flat lined and there is a possibility a need to install a new motor. How much would it cost to have a reputable local shop around here to do a V8 swap? or is there a good DIY V8 conversion kit available? If the price is not to far off then I may go ahead a pay the extra to get a V8.

I would get a second opinion on your current motor. A motor locking up while going down the road would be much more dramatic than you described.

Comment

The 2007 jeeps had a know issue with eating oil and my son's jeep locked up. I had huffines in Lewisville do a long block replacement for $4500. Most V8 swaps for a street legal vehicle are $18K to $30K depending on the engine and the shop.

Comment

When you say much more dramatic, what do you mean by that? I know it was not fun having no power steering, all the lights flickering, and luckily I was going down hill, but it sounds like it should of been worse if it had locked up while moving.

Comment

Originally posted by JRJKUTX View Post
          When you say much more dramatic, what do you mean by that? I know it was not fun having no power steering, all the lights flickering, and luckily I was going down hill, but it sounds like it should of been worse if it had locked up while moving.
          I would think it would lock the wheels. At the very least be like slamming the brakes. Maybe they have means of preventing that. Maybe Hondo can give insight into the failure mode with his son's.

Comment

Originally posted by Gator Bait View Post
            I would think it would lock the wheels. At the very least be like slamming the brakes. Maybe they have means of preventing that. Maybe Hondo can give insight into the failure mode with his son's.
            A lock up on the JK is not a seized engine which is what you are describing. Basically it is a hydro lock.

Comment

Ok well they classified it as the engine locked up saying that a piston could of welded up or a piece broke off and jammed up. So that is considered seized up?

Comment

Originally posted by Gator Bait View Post
                An automatic would come to a nice smooth transition to the side of the road.
                A manual would be screeching wheels till ya push in the clutch and put it in neutral.
                2000 TJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 06 Super Duty Diffs, D60/Sterling, ARBs, 5.38, 40” stickies, Weld on beadlocks, PSC full hydro steering, Vanco hydroboost, 16” King coilovers & King bumps, a radio that makes noise & a working Winch.

Comment

Originally posted by JRJKUTX View Post
                  Ok well they classified it as the engine locked up saying that a piston could of welded up or a piece broke off and jammed up. So that is considered seized up?
                  Was there oil in the eng? Has it been loosing oil prior to this?
                  Was there any abnormal temps before this occurred?
                  2000 TJ, 4.0, NV4500, Atlas 4.3, 06 Super Duty Diffs, D60/Sterling, ARBs, 5.38, 40” stickies, Weld on beadlocks, PSC full hydro steering, Vanco hydroboost, 16” King coilovers & King bumps, a radio that makes noise & a working Winch.

Comment

My 2003 Dodge 2500's rear axle locked up due to the dealership forgetting to replace the oil after replacing the axle seals under warranty. It was so violent that it broke the NV5600 (that takes some doing!) so I could not use the clutch to smooth out the ride. Let me tell you, it'll get your attention if you have this happen!

Comment

Originally posted by TornadoTJ View Post
                      My 2003 Dodge 2500's rear axle locked up due to the dealership forgetting to replace the oil after replacing the axle seals under warranty. It was so violent that it broke the NV5600 (that takes some doing!) so I could not use the clutch to smooth out the ride. Let me tell you, it'll get your attention if you have this happen!
                      2wd?

Comment

Yes, that one was a 4x2 long bed. They towed it to the dealership the next day. We tried to get it out of the road, but even using a F350 dually 4x4 we could not pull the truck out of the road, so it sat there all night. I got to the dealership the next day and sat there and sat there, and finally they made me an offer I could not refuse to trade it in toward my 2006 4x4.

Comment

Originally posted by TornadoTJ View Post
                          Yes, that one was a 4x2 long bed. They towed it to the dealership the next day. We tried to get it out of the road, but even using a F350 dually 4x4 we could not pull the truck out of the road, so it sat there all night. I got to the dealership the next day and sat there and sat there, and finally they made me an offer I could not refuse to trade it in toward my 2006 4x4.
                          Full float axles....coulda just pulled the shafts.
                          Tools would obviously been needed and they were probably not there.

Comment

As far as I know there was oil in the engine I had just changed it out a few days before hand. There was no signs of oil leak when I went under to change it. I have change the oil on the Jeep multiple times and never had a problem like this.

Comment

I'm very curious what caused this. If the engine had oil and wasn't overheating there's really no good reason for catastrophic failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X