This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
    Do we know who the other Memorial is for?
    There are actually 2 other memorials.

The large cross is for a 21 year old local who stepped off the edge and had a vertical fall of over 300'. It happened last July 4th, about 2:30 in the morning, (actually July 5th). He and some friends were at that site, (about 15' from the cross) drinking and setting off fireworks. He was drunk and got scared when someone lit off a firework of some kind and simply stepped backwards off the ledge. The cross was unauthorized and without county approval. The the county commissioners are caught in a rough spot, so they leave it up there. The family is very protective of this spot and I don't think anyone dares take it down....or even suggests it.

The other small, rectangular plaque, (right of cross) is for a guy who was riding his motorcycle fast down Camp Bird road, could not make the sharp curve and went off the ledge. Kind of a Thelma & Louise moment...with a tradgic outcome. This happened in 2004, I think. The sherrif's office could not determine if this was an accident or suicide, (there were only about 12' of skid marks before he went off the ledge).

Randy and I did not know Jim....we just know several people who did. Everything I heard was completely positive. I am certain he was the kind of guy, whose friendship I would have cherished.

This is a very dangerous spot just after the stoms come in the afternoons, (July & August - especially). Be very respectful of incoming weather, (usually in the afternoon). When you see the storm clouds rolling in, start heading down....no matter what trail you are on. When this happened, the afternoon storms had been heavy for over a week which loosens rocks on the ledges above.

Terry/Lynn, there is absolutely nothing anyone could have done to prevent this....nothing.

Comment

I should admit I didn't realize that accident happened on Camp Bird Road! It gives me even more respect for that route than I've already had. Will be looking for the memorial plaque here in a few weeks.... I have a couple of trips, maybe more, planned for the area this summer.

Comment

I was/am interested in photography and so was Jim ... We often had talked 'shop' about cameras/lens etc. He was a SUPER nice guy and he always wanted people to enjoy themselves.... Jim was what LSJC is and should be all about imo. Friendship, family, fun .... I think that the 'Smiley Face' was his way to show that.

Thanks George for letting us know and thanks to Bill "COROX" and Randy "Camp Bird" for helping honor a fallen member, wish I could have been there.... I still think about that day and like many that were there , I learned just how life can change in a split second. That day was probably one of the worst days of my life. It will now be on my trip list to go see and maybe to ease some of the pain that still exists from that day.

[IMG][/IMG]

R.I.P. Jim
        Last edited by Shaggnastie; 06-23-2011, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Very cool! Thanks, for letting us know about this George. Jim was a good friend and one of those people that would go out of his way to help you.
          Kurt Wobig
          2001 white TJ, 8.8 Detroit locked rear, Dana 44, ARB locked Front. 5.13's, 37" Goodyear MTR's, Spyder Lock Beadlocks, Poison Spyder rocker knockers. Phantom front fenders, Rockhard roll cage, Poison Spyder comp-cut crusher corners and LED tail lights. 2014 Grand Cherokee Eco Diesel Tow-Rig
          sigpic

Comment

Here is a picture of Jim enjoying his trip to Colorado.

This is a picture of Jim's son David Parker. David and Amy are members of LSJC and you will see them at many events driving Jim's rebuilt Jeep.

Enjoying the retirement life and traveling around in our white 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon.
            George & Bennye Rice

Comment

That touches me deeply!!!!!

Comment

:goodjob:

very respectable... another reason i love this club

Comment

RIP Jim. Good job guys! Thanks

Comment

Jim Parker's Plaque

What a great thing you all did!!!

I drove that road several times last summer. This is a very real threat. We were coming down Black Bear and a large boulder had fallen right before we got there. We were the last group to go down before they closed the trail so that the maintenance crew could "help" it down the rest of the way.

I'm glad nobody was there at the wrong time.

Comment

Very nice memorial! Great job and thank you!

Comment

Lynn and I have seen a lot of rock that had fallen on THAT trail. It always seemed to happen during the spring thaw. This was taken in April of 2006. This is Camp Bird road not far from where the rocks fell on Jim and Nancy.

Comment

Words can't express strongly enough how much I appreciate what Bill and Randy have done here. After 5 years it would have been all too easy to just forget about trying to get it approved and just move on.

Thanks to both of you for staying after it and getting this approved and installed. You guys went above and beyond to get it done.

You are a credit to our club.

Thanks,
                          Brian and Nancy
                          Brian Ingle

I wouldn't want to join any club that would have me as a member!

Comment

Well done fellas.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
                              Words can't express strongly enough how much I appreciate what Bill and Randy have done here. After 5 years it would have been all too easy to just forget about trying to get it approved and just move on.

Thanks to both of you for staying after it and getting this approved and installed. You guys went above and beyond to get it done.

You are a credit to our club.

Thanks,
                              Brian and Nancy
                              I couldn't have said it any better. X2

Comment

WOW, what a great thing you guys did for his family! This is why I LOVE LSJC and its members. Bill "COROX" and Randy "Camp Bird" well done guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X