This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Parker's Plaque

July 2006 several LSJC members were Jeep riding in the San Juan Mountains. Our trail guides were Terry and Lynn Hubbard and we were returning to Ouray via Imogene Pass and were on Camp Bird Road near the rock over hang. There were about 10 Jeeps in our group. Jim Parker was driving his Jeep and Nancy Ingle was his passenger. Jim and Nancy were enjoying the slow drive back to Ouray when their Jeep was struck by "falling rocks". This was a tragic accident and Jim was killed instantly and Nancy's arm was broken. Nancy was able to steer Jim's Jeep to the left and against the mountain and it rolled over onto the roadway. Nancy was transported to the hospital in Montrose by her husband Brian Ingle. Other LSJC members preformed CPR on Jim but they could not revive him. This was a very say day for everyone involved.

For several years LSJC has tired to erect a memorial on Camp Bird Road in memory of Jim Parker. LSJC members Bill Espinosa and Randy Loftis live in Ouray and they communicated with the County Officials and got approval to place a memorial plaque on Camp Bird Road. The plaque was purchased by LSJC and sent to Bill and Randy and they installed it on the face of the mountain where the accident occurred.

They left Ouray at 6:00 AM to beat the Camp Bird Road traffic. This is a major trail road for Imogene Pass and Yankee Boy Basin and they installed the plaque. If you don't know Bill and Randy give them a call when you are in Ouray. They are great LSJC members and we owe them a BIG THANKS for taking on this project and installing the plaque. Bill is "COROX" and Randy is "Camp Bird" on the forum and they are our San Juan Mountain Trail Guides. Again Thanks

Going up Camp Bird Road in the Bobcat to the accident scene.

Drilling mounting holes.

Drilling mounting holes.

Almost ready to install the plaque.

One more hole and I will be done.

Jim Parker's Plaque installed on Camp Bird Road.

Enjoying the retirement life and traveling around in our white 2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon.
    George & Bennye Rice

That's really awesome George. Thanks for posting.

And thanks to Bill and Randy.
    Last edited by oldhippe; 06-22-2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Very nice and respectable, this is why I joined this club. Never knew Mr. Parker, but I'm sure he appreciates this.

Comment

For those of you who did not have the pleasure of knowing Jim Parker, he was a really great guy. Jim Parker and Brian Ingle where the first members of LSJC that I met on the trails at Gilmer the first time I had our Jeep out. They invited me to ride with them the rest of the day and I learned fast what great friends they were.

Jim touched my heart as he did many others in LSJC over the years. Each and every time I wheel I think about Jim. Jim talked me into my first trip to Clayton. That was also the last time I had the pleasure of wheeling with him.

There are others here at LSJC who were much closer to Jim than I was and I know from being around them that Jim touched their hearts as well.

We Miss You Jim....

You will be forever in our hearts.
        James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

Jim was a Great guy! He always had that Smiley face for his pictures. He recruited a ton of folks. Always talked Jeep and was always willing to help everyone.

Thats Awesome that his Memorial is now up! Thanks George, Bill, and Randy for taking care of all this!
          2015 JKUR Red
          2013 JKUR Black SOLD
          2005 LJR Red SOLD
          2004 TJ Silver SOLD
          1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Thats pretty neat. Good job fellas.:nodyes:

Comment

Do we know who the other Memorial is for?
              2015 JKUR Red
              2013 JKUR Black SOLD
              2005 LJR Red SOLD
              2004 TJ Silver SOLD
              1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Thanks guys for doing this!
                Rusty Kennedy 2015 rubicon, shrockworks mid front bumper, shrockworks back bumper, warn 9.5ti winch, 3" Teraflex lift, 35" KM 2's. Poison Spyder fenders and crusher panels

Comment

Jim was a great guy and never met a stranger. RIP JIm.

Comment

Comment

This is a long time coming, I remember going to our Land Use person up there and hearing "it would never happen" So happy to see it has. I still recall that day, and will never forget meeting Jim, great guy that he was.

Comment

I remember that day......vividly. Thanks Bill, Randy and all involved in getting this done. We have often tried to rethink a different outcome had events during the day taken less or more time to complete. Thanks again.

Comment

That is a nice memorial.

Comment

Black 2000 TJ Sport, 4.0L, 5-Spd., RE LA 5.5", 36" IROK's, ARB's front & rear, and more..
                            Amsoil Independent Dealer
                            sigpic
                            www.lubedealer.com/BDS_Lube

Comment

Very Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X