Therm-a-rest Self-Inflating Mattresses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Therm-a-rest Self-Inflating Mattresses

With the spring season around the corner many of you will be back in the Jeep, out camping and enjoying the backcountry. Being comfortable at basecamp is key to an enjoyable time so check out Therm-A-Rest's self-inflating mattresses for your next journey:

http://online.jpfreek.com/2011/03/16...ries-mattress/

I have one and, for me, it was a waste of money. Maybe I'm too heavy for it @ 250lbs, but it didn't give much more padding than a sleeping bag. I'm not a hardcore camper, so I'll stick with the air mattress. I'll have to get it out of the attic, but if anyone wants mine, I'll sell it for $50 if I can find it.

Comment

I found one when I lived in Utah and I keep it in the jeep for if I am on the trail and break something. I can use it to lay on while I am working.

Comment

I have two of the early ones, cir, 1988 or so (back in the Boy Scout days), and they are good for what they are designed for. Mine are the slimline models, only about 3/4" thick inflated, that are designed to be rolled up and backpacked. Got them for my brother and me for our trips to Philmont. They do keep you warmer but not a lot on the comfy "sleep number" aspects. They still get used by my kids in the tent. I have switched to a Coleman double thick queen air mattress!:nodyes:

Comment

I use the basecamp model which is 2" thick and it works great!

Comment

These are what I used on backpacking trips until I stopped being a ground dweller and now hang from the trees in a Hennessy Hammock:

I love getting up in the morning feeling awesome and love watching my buddies creak and moan crawling out of their tents. :)

Lots of detail and vids here: http://hennessyhammock.com/

Comment

Originally posted by olllllo View Post
              I don’t think I could sleep comfortably bent forward like that.
              but i have never tried it so you never know, i might

Comment

Originally posted by Ben E View Post
                I don’t think I could sleep comfortably bent forward like that.
                but i have never tried it so you never know, i might
                It's kind of surprising, and it is really difficult to tell from the picture, but you really don't. It has an asymmetrical design so, if this is the rope line: |
                you end up laying across the center line like this: /

Since you are laying across it, you really flatten out a lot. I sleep on my side and have no problem rolling from one side to the other. Some people report laying on their stomachs in them. I am not being a stomach sleeper at all and without a real frame or reference there, but I find that a little bit of a stretch.

Comment

i have a parachute hammock that i love when camping. i will second what o|||||o says about those hammocks being comfortable.

the things to remember with a hammock is:
                  a) get a very warm sleeping bag, the air surrounding you gets cold
                  b) tie the trash bag to a different tree than your hammock. raccoons will use the hammock as a shelf to get to the trash.

Comment

Originally posted by top_magoo View Post
                    ...b) tie the trash bag to a different tree than your hammock. raccoons will use the hammock as a shelf to get to the trash.

Comment

Yeah, hammocks are a nice choice as well. I've got an Eagles Nest Outfitters hammock that I take on excursions and it's much easier to setup than getting the tent out, then sleeping pad/sleeping bag, etc. :)

Comment

Working...
                      X