Jeep prep questions for Colorado Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeep prep questions for Colorado Trip

I'm new to off-roading and I'm planning my first off-road trip to Ouray Colorado. My jeep (JKU 17' Sahara) is pretty much stock. The mods I've done so far are 3 1/2" lift and 35" tires, quick disconnects, and sturdy spare tire carrier. I'm needing good advice on what additional mods I need to handle most of the Beginner/Moderate/Imogene/Engineer Pass trails in Ouray.

My biggest concern is the gearing on my Jeep. I feel the stock gears are inadequate for those San Juan Mt. inclines. I plan to replace my front Dana 30 axel with a 44 and add 4.88 gears to it. My rear axel is already a 44 (stock). I just need to regear it too. I don't see myself needing lockers for these trails, but again I've never been there and i've never done off-roading. Any advice would be helpful.

I have so many future upgrades I have planned for my jeep, but I need to know what is vital to have done before I take this trip.

I would do lockers when you regear since you are already in there. Much better to have them when you need them than to not.
    Jeff Brint
    LSJC Trail Leader - LSJC Moderator
    2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
    2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

Also, may consider some under carriage skid plates and rocker armor.

And definitely a winch and recovery gear.
      Jeff Brint
      2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier

Comment

X100 what Jeff said

Comment

One of the best things you can do for wheeling around the Ouray / Silverton area is….NOT TO WHEEL ALONE...!

Even on the simplest mountain passes something can go wrong and it could turn really bad really fast. Basic recovery gear is a must. A self contained air supply and a good tire plug kit can help save the day as will tools for your Jeep and basic knowledge of how to fix things. Carry a spare serpentine belt for your Jeep and the tools for installation.

Prepare for weather changes on the trails. It can be really nice in town and really nasty up on the summit of a pass. Pay close attention to the weather and if it is raining think really long and hard about the passes you are wanting to run. For example… I would never run Black Bear in the rain even if it was on my list for the trip. I would wait and run it on another day or even put it off till the next time we go to CO.

Pack snacks and water and if you are not used to high altitude you might consider picking up a can or two of oxygen in town or before you go. Trust me you might need this from time to time and they really help. Here is a link to look at. https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/boo...able-container

Make sure to keep a watch on your fuel gauge. I always fill up every morning because if something happens and you are stuck on a pass overnight or you get really lost, having fuel to keep the Jeep running can make all the difference.

Your heading to one of the greatest wheeling places you can take your Jeep. Enjoy and have fun but remember to always be vigilant on the trails.

James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

One thing ive been advised and haven't been out there myself. Is to plan extra time. The internet estmiated times to go through the above mentioned trails are not accurate. You may run into traffic, stalled vehicle, weather, etc. So be prepared. One trail a day has been a rule of thumb for the badge trails. Also pay attention to which direction the trails operate. I know some are one way only.

Cheers and have fun and keep all 4 on the ground.

Paul

Comment

Great advice James!
              Jeff Brint

Comment

You might also want to buy one of these before you head north. These books are a great resource for planning your trip and very help full on the trail. Check out their GPS options as well.

https://funtreks.com/product/guide-t...s-4th-edition/
                James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

Do the gears and/or lockers and you’ll be just fine you won’t need the lockers but you might as well do it while you’re in there this will be the first year that we don’t travel to that area you can do most everything literally in a stock jeep
                  2015 JKU Rubicon, 3.5" RK X-Factor lift, Raceline beadlocks, 35" Nitto Trail Grappler MT's, Poison Spyder front and rear bumpers, Poison Spyder Rocker/Knockers,Warn 9500S, Rock Hard

Comment

Working...
                  X