Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK Rear Bumper talk

Howdy,

I might be in the market for a new rear bumper due to getting hit in a parking lot the other day. Their insurance is covering the repairs which will be a tire carrier and possibly a bumper so I figure it might be a good time to upgrade.

The top two I'm leaning towards so far are the Shrockworks and Poison Spyder. I'd like to know what rear bumpers you all are running and if you are happy with them or not. Pictures would be a bonus. I am not wanting one with a tire carrier. Bumper only and not too bulky.

I was originally thinking of going with a stubby style bumper for clearance but after looking at my steel hardrock bumper now I have an awful lot of scratches on the ends which is making me lean back towards going full width. Does anyone regret going with one over the other?

Thanks,
    Larry

81 Scrambler

2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel 4x4

2017 JK Hardrock 6 speed

Larry,
    I ran Warn Elites on my JK and have them on both of my JL’s. They are full width bumpers with good tire carriers

Comment

Shrockworks!
      Rusty Kennedy 2015 rubicon, shrockworks mid front bumper, shrockworks back bumper, warn 9.5ti winch, 3" Teraflex lift, 35" KM 2's. Poison Spyder fenders and crusher panels

Comment

I have the Ace Engineering. Good sturdy bumper that doesn't hand down to catch stuff (bottom is pretty much flush with the frame rails and almost completely smooth). It has taken a ton of bashing, to include getting rear-ended with no issues. My only complaint would be that now that I'm not running a spare it sticks farther back than I'd like, but that is more cosmetic than anything else.

Comment

I have the Poison Spyder Bruiser rear bumper and like it, I was going to get the Ace, but their powder coat job on my spare tire carrier was crap.

2000 XJ, 2013 JKUR, 2014 WK2

Get Your Free Quote Here!

Brady Ingle Insurance

www.bradyingle.com

(972)475-2408

Comment

I have the LoD rear bumper Carrier. This thing is a beast!! Its the Signature series gen4 stubby. It is as wide as the body, not the fenders..... It has cut outs for rear led lights which is an option.

Ive had Jeepernan, Rockhard4x4 and PSC, While I liked the others and they did the job just fine, there is something about the LoD that just makes me smile even more. The LoD is just plain Beef

It appears they have redesigned it and are calling it the destroyer stubby..... https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep...e-carrier.html
            Last edited by RedRubiconLJ; 03-17-2020, 09:17 AM.
            2015 JKUR Red
            2013 JKUR Black SOLD
            2005 LJR Red SOLD
            2004 TJ Silver SOLD
            1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

The older Lod ones are impressive for sure.

But I have heard and seen first hand that Lod is having quality control issues BIG time. They cannot keep up with demand and are just pushing stuff out as fast as they can. This is causing the quality issues.

One of our members has been trying to get them to stand behind a clear manufacturing mistake that Lod made and they are just ignoring the customer.

James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

Originally posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
                I have the LoD rear bumper Carrier. This thing is a beast!! Its the Signature series gen4 stubby. It is as wide as the body, not the fenders..... It has cut outs for rear led lights which is an option.

Ive had Jeepernan, Rockhard4x4 and PSC, While I liked the others and they did the job just fine, there is something about the LoD that just makes me smile even more. The LoD is just plain Beef

It appears they have redesigned it and are calling it the destroyer stubby..... https://lodoffroad.com/products/jeep...e-carrier.html
                I have this bumper too and I agree fully with Scott's statements. While it is a stubby bumper like he says, it does have a "wrap around" area that protects the rear corners of the Jeep from coming down on rocks.
                Jeff
                2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
                2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

Originally posted by NVRDUN View Post
                  The older Lod ones are impressive for sure.

But I have heard and seen first hand that Lod is having quality control issues BIG time. They cannot keep up with demand and are just pushing stuff out as fast as they can. This is causing the quality issues.

One of our members has been trying to get them to stand behind a clear manufacturing mistake that Lod made and they are just ignoring the customer.

WOW!!! That is sad to hear!! Hope it all works out! What is the issue? And which product?
                  2015 JKUR Red
                  2013 JKUR Black SOLD
                  2005 LJR Red SOLD
                  2004 TJ Silver SOLD
                  1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Yeah, mine was/is great. I hadn't heard of any issues with them lately.
                    Jeff
                    2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
                    2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

Originally posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post

WOW!!! That is sad to hear!! Hope it all works out! What is the issue? And which product?
                      Rock rail and the step plate is not in the correct position on the passenger side.

James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

If you haven't bought anything yet, Northridge4x4 just sent out a 10% off all LoD stuff. If you have an issue they will make it right without you having to deal with the vendor. If you do decide to go this route call Dave first and make sure they have what you want in stock. LoD wait time can get ridiculous like some of the others....
                        2015 JKUR Red
                        2013 JKUR Black SOLD
                        2005 LJR Red SOLD
                        2004 TJ Silver SOLD
                        1993 YJ White SOLD

Comment

Thanks! I like that LOD bumper too. What light option did you go with? And did you get the black finish or bare and paint it later? I'm kind of leaning towards getting it powder coated.
                          81 Scrambler

2017 JK Hardrock 6 speed

Comment

Well after hours of looking at thousands of pictures and going back and forth I pulled the trigger on an LOD destroyer stubby bumper only in bare steel. I got a heck of a deal on it from Northridge and they were the only place that actually had it in stock. I talked to 3 other companies and they were saying it would be around may or June before I’d see it coming from LOD. Thanks for the input.
                            81 Scrambler

2017 JK Hardrock 6 speed

Comment

Working...
                            X