Trail Map Apps.. What Works?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trail Map Apps.. What Works?

We are starting to see more and more folks using trail apps at some of the parks. On our last club run to SMORR several different ones were used.

I thought it would be a good idea to start a discussion on these apps. What works and what doesn't.

If you are using this type of technology to find your way around the off road parks PLEASE post up and tell us what works and what does not.

Do you have a favorite and why…!

Thank You for your help…!

James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

I have tried a couple trail apps, but none that I have just been thoroughly amazed with. A lot of the issues I have found is that not all apps are compatible with both iOS and Android devices. I have seen a couple Android apps I liked, but of course I need the iOS version. One iOS app that I do like is Maplets. It has electronic copies of the park maps (not all parks though). It is similar to looking at the paper map except on your phone. The downside of the app is that it does not show your GPS location on the trails so you have to be paying attention and know where you are. Another app that I have and have used is Google Maps. I have used a map overlay saved from some other wheeling groups to see the trails. It does show your GPS location on the trails, but the trails are not labeled, and I can't seem to get the app to stay open and not go to sleep so that in itself has been frustrating. I recently downloaded Gaia GPS so that I can record the trails that I do, but have not used it yet. I believe Jeff (TREK) was using a great app for the Android phones called BackCountry Navigator. I really liked it but unfortunately can't use it as there is not an iOS version. I am eager to see what other suggestions come up in this discussion. I would love to find a great one to use that shows the trails as well as your GPS location. Great topic to discuss, James!!!

Comment

Great topic, James.
      I ran across this, but it doesn’t help US....yet.

https://www.cartotracks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mmmmbeer View Post
        Great topic, James.
        I ran across this, but it doesn’t help US....yet.

https://www.cartotracks.com/
        I see that they do have the map for SMORR. Wish someone had tried this out when they were there.
        https://www.cartotracks.com/smorr_so...road_ranch_map

LSJC Trail Leader - LSJC Moderator
        2013 JKU Rubicon w/Antirocks, Front Artec Truss & Gusseted, Full Rock Hard Skids, RK 3.5" Max Travel, 37" Nittos, Beadlocks, PS Front Stinger, 10K Winch, LoD Rock Sliders, LoD Shorty Rear w/Tire Carrier
        2018 White JLU Sahara, leather, 2" lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers

Comment

Originally posted by Bearkat View Post

I see that they do have the map for SMORR. Wish someone had tried this out when they were there.
          https://www.cartotracks.com/smorr_so...road_ranch_map
          I tried but I could not get it to load.
          James NVRDUN Foster

83 CJ-7, 4.5 Rubicon Express Suspension, 35" BFG Krawlers, Rancho 9000's, 258 In-line six, T-18, Dana 20 Transfer Case w/Terra Low, 4:56 Gears, SunRay Ford 9 Inch Rear w/Detroit Locker, Dana 30 w/LockRight, Plates \"NVRDUN\" and A Proud Member of The Lone Star Jeep Club

Comment

I use an app called BackCountry Navigator for Android devices. I can import maps and it you can use different kinds of maps. This app is not the easiest one to use but I have a lot of data on it. A lot of from Hot Springs. I have just about all the trails around Ouray on it and it came in very handy the last time I went.

http://backcountrynavigator.com/

I also used google earth too.
            Jeff Wright
            03 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon - Black
            2014 Ram 1500
            Keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down!

Comment

I’m a big fan of GAIA GPS. It’s a available for both iOS and Android, and it’s super-popular among the Overland crowd. I’ve been using it for a couple of years now. You can import and export tracks. Select from multiple overlays (like Topo or satellite), and you can download those overlays for offline/offfrid use.

Magellan also has a free version of their TRX app/software that is available on iOS, and probably android too (since their TRX gps unit is basically an android tablet). It has some nice maps of trails in areas and some parks. They have pretty much all the trails out at Gilmer mapped and labeled. I actually used Magellan TRX one of the last time I was leading trails out at Gilmer. I don’t think it has trails for the Hot Springs park though - they seem to be kinda hit or miss when it comes to trail support. TRX is more of an ORV trail navigation app though, not really a track where you’ve been general GPS app, so it’s use is somewhat limited IMHO.
              Jason West
              '16 JKUR, RE/Synergy 3.5" lift, 37" STT Pros, Expedition One bumpers
              '95 XJ, RE 5.5", 35" MT/Rs, 4.56s, D30/ARB, D44/Detroit, Warn hubs, lots of armor, LED tail lights, XD9000i w/synthetic rope
              '14 RAM 1500, HEMI, Rambox, air suspension, BAKFlip G2 tonneau, Husky liners

Comment

Bump........does anybody have any updated info on this? I'm having a hard time trying to find out if Gaia gps or ON X maps has Hot Springs ORV trails. I would have figured by now there would be an easy to use app with them.
                81 Scrambler

2014 Grand Cherokee Diesel 4x4

2017 JK Hardrock 6 speed

Comment

I don't believe Gaia has them but, you can download the area.
                  A simple option is Maprika, wish it was still being updated/supported.
                  2019 'Mojito' JLR(bone stock)
                  2015 Cherokee KL(traded in)

Comment

I have been using onx4x4. It doesn't have all of the parks mapped (HS is missing) but it has worked well for me. You download areas for offline use which is nice. While there aren't maps and trail labels for all the parks, it does have good satellite pics of the areas and I have been able to locate myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X